December 2007, Volume 16, Number 4
The paper deals with principles and properties of single frequency networks of digital television and radio transmitters. Basic definitions and contextual relationships (guard interval, area of SFN, influence of used modulation parameters etc.) are explained.
- FISCHER,W. Digital television. Berlin: Springer Verlag, 2004. ISBN 3-540-01155-2.
- O'LEARY, S. Digital Terrestrial Broadcasting. London: Artech House, 2000. ISBN 1-58053-063X.
- LEGIN, M. Televizni technika - Digitalni vysilani DVB -T. (Television Technology - Digital Broadcasting DVB -T). Prague: BEN, 2006. ISBN 80-7300-204-3. (in Czech)
- BUREL, G., MAGNIEZ, P. Transmitters separation for Single Frequency Networks. In Proceedings of IEEE Conference - SPAWC. Anapolis (USA), 1999.
- DOEVEN, J. Planning of Single Frequency Network. In Presentation on Workshop on Digital Broadcasting EBU IT. Sofia, 2004.
- DOUG, L. Single Frequency Network for DTV presentation (part 1). http://www.tvtechnology.com.
- RICNY, V. Co je to jednofrekvencni sit digitalnich vysilacu a jaky je jeji rozsah ? (What is SFN and what is its area ?). In Internet magazine STEREOMAG, 2005. http://www.stereomag.cz (in Czech).
- Design program of SFN: http://www.crcdata.cz.
Keywords: Digital television, single frequency network (SFN), standard DVB-T, transmitter, terrestrial broadcast, guard interval, multipath reception, SFN area
This paper deals with the transmission of digital television to the DVB-H mobile terminals and interaction of DVB-H system with GSM/UMTS network. The mobile terminals testing approach is introduced including the testing transmission system in the laboratory of digital television and mobile communications at the Department of Radio Electronics, Brno University of Technology. This system can be used for efficient analysis in research and development of near future commercial DVB-H networks. The task of the DVB-H providers is to offer commercial mobile terminals capable to operate in DVB-H network with GSM/UMTS interactivity channel.
- RIEMERS, U. Digital Video Broadcasting. The Family of International Standards for Digital Television. Springer Verlag, 2004.
- FARIA, G., HENRIKSSON, J., STARE, E., TALMOLA, P. DVB-H: Digital Broadcast services to Handheld Devices. In Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 94, no. 1, January 2006.
- ETSI EN 300744 v 1.4.1 (2001-01). European Standard (Telecommunications series). Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Framing Structure, Channel Coding and Modulation for Digital Terrestrial Television. ETSI, 1/2001.
- ETSI EN 302304 v 1.1.1 (2004-11). European Standard (Telecommunications series). Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Transmission System for Handheld Terminals. ETSI, 11/2004.
- ETSI TR 102377 v 1.2.1 (2005-11). Technical Report. Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); DVB-H Implementation Guidelines. ETSI, 11/2005.
- Application note 1MA91_0E. Test of DVB-H Capable Mobile Phones in Development and Production. www.rohdeschwarz.com. Rohde & Schwarz 4/2005.
- KRATOCHVIL, T.; PROKOPEC, J. DVB-H standard and testing of its mobile terminals. In Proceedings of 17th International Conference Radioelektronika 2007. Brno, Department of Radio Electronics, Brno University of Technology. 2007. p. 493 - 497. ISBN 978-80-214-3390-8.
Keywords: Mobile terminal testing, mobile terminal capability, interaction, DVB-H, GSM
The article describes new methods of stereo encoding for FM radio broadcasting. Digital signal processing makes possible to construct an encoder with properties that are not attainable using conventional analog solutions. The article describes the mathematical model of the encoder, on the basis of which a specific program code for DSP was developed. The article further deals with a new method of composite clipping which does not cause impurities in the output spectrum, and at the same time preserves high separation between the left and right audio channels. The application of the new method is useful mainly where there are unwanted signal overshoots on the input of the stereo encoder, e.g., in case of signal transmission from the studio to the transmitter site through a route with psychoacoustic lossy compression of data rate.
- ORBAN, R. United States Patent 6,434,241 B1, Controlling the Peak Levels of the FM Composite Signal by Half-Cosine Interpolation. August 13, 2002.
- BONELLO, O. Multiband audio processing and its influence on the coverage area of the FM stereo transmission. Journal of AES, 2007, no. 3, p. 145 - 156.
- ANALOG DEVICES. ADSP 21161, AD 1852. Analog Devices company datasheets 2002-2007.
- FOTI, F. United States Patent 4,991,212 Broadcast Signal Conditioning Method and Apparatus, February 5, 1991.
Keywords: Stereo encoder, stereo generator, composite clipping, digital encoding, digital signal processors, DSP
This paper analyzes the usability of peak to average power ratio (PAPR) reduction in multicarrier code division multiple access (MC-CDMA) by the chip interleaving optimization. This means chip position formatting to PAPR minimization. One chip interleaving pattern is used for all users in system (all spreading sequences). Dependency on number of subcarriers and spreading sequence length is simulated. The impact on amplitude histogram is presented and relation to random interleaving pattern is shown.
- FAZEL, K., KAISER, S. Multi-Carrier and Spread Spectrum Systems. John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
- FEDRA, Z., SEBESTA, V. Genetic algorithm and ant colony optimization for PAPR reduction in MC-CDMA. In Radioelektronika 2006, Bratislava (Slovak Republic), 2006.
- HARA, S., PRASAD, R. Overview of multicarrier CDMA. IEEE Communication Magazine, 1997, vol. 35, no.12.
- HO, W. S., MADHUKUMAR, A. S., CHIN, F. Peak-to-average power reduction using partial transmit sequences: A suboptimal approach based on dual layered phase sequencing. IEEE Transaction on Broadcasting, 2003, vol. 49, no. 2.
- KWON, O., HA, Y. Multi-carrier pap reduction method using suboptimal PTS with threshold. IEEE Transaction on Broadcasting, 2003, vol. 49, no. 2.
- LIM, D., NO, J., LIM, Ch., CHUNG, H. A new SLM OFDM scheme with low complexity for PAPR reduction. IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 2005, vol. 12, no. 2.
- SEUNG, H. H., JAE, H. L. Modified selected mapping technique for PAPR reduction of coded OFDM signal. IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, 2004, vol. 50, no.3.
- TELLADO, J. Multicarrier Modulation with Low PAR: Application to DSL and Wireless. Academic Publishers, 2000.
- YOU, Y., JEON, W., PAIK, J., SONG, H. A simple construction of OFDM-CDMA signals with low peak-to-average power ratio. IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, 2003, vol. 49, no. 4.
Keywords: MC-CDMA, OFDM, PAPR reduction, chip interleaving
The presented paper is dedicated to the low rate telemetry transmission simulator. The basic concept of the system uses the carrier (DSB) and subcarrier (BPSK). The research is focused on the AWGN and carrier phase noise influence. Presented system can be extended with the described carrier phase noise model. In this paper, some issues related to the described model are also discussed. For example, the relation between bit error rate for uncoded bit stream and bit stream with differential coding, which is used in the model. Authors prove the using of Costas loops for very low energy per bit to noise power spectral density ratio. The influence of additive white Gaussian noise and phase noise is also investigated.
- SHIHABI, M., SHAH, B., HINEDI, S., MILLION, S. Residual and suppressed carrier arraying techniques for deep-space communications. TDA Progress Report. 1995, vol. 121, 29 p.
- LINDSEY, W. C., SIMON, M. K. Telecommunication Systems Engineering. New York: Dover Publications, Inc., 1973.
- SEBESTA, V. Theory of Telecommunication. Lecture notes, Brno University of Technology, Brno, 2001. (In Czech.)
- MARTIN, W. L., NGUYEN, T. M. CCSDS - SFCG Efficient Modulation Methods Study - A Comparison of Modulation Schemes - Phase 1: Bandwidth Utilization. Recommendation for space data system standards, CCSDS B20.0-Y, 1993.
- KINMAN, P. W. 34-m and 70-m Telemetry Reception. DSMS Telecommunications Link Design Handbook, 2003.
- KOZUMPLIK, J., KOLAR, R., JAN, J. Digital Signal Processing and Analysis. Lecture notes, Brno University of Technology, Brno, 2001. (In Czech.)
- Proceedings of the CCSDS RF and Modulation Subpanel 1E on Bandwidth-Efficient Modulations. Report concerning space data system standards, CCSDS B20.0-Y-2, 2001.
- ZALUD, V. Modern Radio Electronics. Prague: BEN publishing, 2000. (In Czech.)
- KASAL, M. Radio Rellay and Satellite Communication. Lecture notes, Brno University of Technology, Brno, 2003. (In Czech.)
- VITERBI, A. J. Principles of Coherent Communication. Moscow: Sovetskoe radio, 1970. (In Russian.)
- STEVENS, G., WOO, K. T. Design of a Costas loop to operate with the Block III receiver and its predicted performance. DSN Progress Report. 1979, vol. 51, 11 p.
- Communications Blockset for Use with Simulink®. The MathWorks® Reference, The MathWorks Inc., 2004.
- KUNDERT, K. Modeling and Simulation of Jitter in Phase-Locked Loops. Cadence Design Systems, California, 2002.
- PAAL, L., SNIFFIN, R. W. Telemetry Data Decoding. DSMS Telecommunications Link Design Handbook, 2004.
- KASAL, M. Frequency Synthesis in Communication Systems Experimental Satellites. Brno: VUTIUM, Brno University of Technology, 2005. (In Czech.)
- ROBERTS, N. Phase noise and jitter - A primer for digital designers. EE Design (www.eedesign.com). 2003, 11 p.
- LOSTAK, J. The Lexicon of Mathematics. Olomouc: FIN publishing, 1996. (In Czech.)
- HACKE, L. J., WOOD, G. E. Laboratory and Flight Performance of the Mars Pathfinder (15, 1/6) Convolutionally Encoded Telemetry Link. TDA Progress Report. 1997, vol. 129, 11 p.
- Telemetry Synchronization and Channel Coding. Recommendation for space data system standards, CCSDS 131.0-B-1, 2003.
- KASAL, M. Modern Methods of Generation and Signal Processing in Nuclear Magnetics Resonance. Inaugural dissertation, Brno University of Technology, Brno, 1998. (In Czech.)
- Bandwidth-Efficient Modulations - Summary of Definition, Implementation, and Performance. Report concerning space data system standards, CCSDS 413.0-G-1, 2003.
- Radio Frequency and Modulation Systems. Recommendation for space data system standards, CCSDS 401.0, 2005.
- LAM, L., MILLION, S. Performance of pulse code modulation / phase modulation receivers with nonideal data. TDA Progress Report. 1997, vol. 128, 17 p.
- Telemetry - Summary of Concept and Rationale. Report concerning space data system standards, CCSDS 100.0-G-1, 1987.
- STEBER, J. M. PSK Demodulation. TechNote, San Jose: WJ Communications, Inc. 2001.
- SUE, M. K. Block IV receiver tracking loop performance in the presence of a CW RFI. TDA Progress Report. 1980, vol. 60, 13 p.
- HURD, W. J., MILEANT A. Improved carrier tracking for low-threshold telemetry using a smoother. TMO Progress Report. 2000, vol. 141, 16 p.
- NOREEN, G. K. Deep Space Network Support of Small Missions. Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, California, 2003.
- HAGHIGHAT, A. Low-Jitter Symbol Timing Recovery for M-ary QAM and PAM Signals. A thesis in the Department of Electrical Engineering, Concordia University, Canada, 1998.
- WARREN, L. M. DSN Support of Earth Orbiting and Deep Space Missions. Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, California, 1994.
- KUIPER, T. B. H., RESCH, G. M. Deep Space Telecommunications, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, California, 2001.
- CHI, X. DSP Implementation of Communication Systems - Carrier recovery using a second order Costas loop. Lecture note, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia, 2002.
- KARSI, M. F., LINDSEY, W. C. Effects of CW interference on phase-locked loop performance. IEEE Transactions on Communications. 2000, vol. 48, no. 5.
- AKINLI, C., GAMACHE, M., ROSE, M., ROST, A., SALES, J. TANG, J. Telemetry, tracking, communications, command and data handling. TMO Progress Report.2001, vol. 145, 77 p.
- CHEN, C. C., SHAMBAYATI, S., MAKOVSKY, A., TAYLOR, F. H., HERMAN M. I., ZINGALES, S. H. Small Deep Space Transponder (SDST) - Technology Validation Report. JET Propulsion Lab., California Inst. of Technology, California, 2000.
Keywords: Low rate telemetry, Simulink® model, BPSK/DSB modulation, phase noise model, noise effect
The multi-carrier modulation is used in many applications, primary for a wireless transmission, for example Wi-Fi and WiMAX networks or DVB-T. But the same physical principle can be used also for metallic lines in access or local networks, for example ADSL and VDSL. The multi-carrier modulation in these cases is called DMT. The dominant source of noise in multi-pair metallic cables is crosstalk when the information capacity is limited dramatically. However, information capacity of metallic lines can be increased, if the system is using MIMO principles, concrete VDMT modulation and line bounding concept. The methods for VDMT modulation and partial crosstalk cancellation are discussed and simulation results are presented.
- VODRAZKA, J., JARES, P., HUBENY, T. xDSL simulator. In http://matlab.feld.cvut.cz/en/. Praha, 2005.
- VODRAZKA, J. Downstream power-back-off used for ADSL. In Proceedings EC-SIP-M 2005. Bratislava, Slovak University of Technology, 2005, pp. 349–353.
- VODRAZKA, J., JARES, P., PROKOP, T. Modeling of middle-range metallic lines for Ethernet with VDMT. In IWSSIP 2007 & EC-SIPMCS 2007. University of Maribor, 2007, p. 277-280.
- VODRAZKA, J., HRAD, J., JARES, P. Modeling of access network structure. In Proceedings of the 6th Conference on Telecommunications. Instituto de Telecomunicacoes – Lisboa, 2007, p. 469-472.
- RAUSCHMAYER, D. J. ADSL/VDSL Principles: A Practical and Precise Study of Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Lines and Very High Speed Digital Subscriber Lines. Indianapolis, USA: Macmillan Technical Publishing, 1999.
- CENDRILLON, R., MOONEN, M. Iterative spectrum balancing for digital subscriber lines. Communications. ICC 2005. 2005. Vol. 3, p. 1937- 1941.
- CENDRILLON, R., GINIS, G., BOGAERT, E., MOONEN, M. A near-optimal linear crosstalk canceller for VDSL. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. 2004.
- CENDRILLON, R., GINIS, G., MOONEN, M., ACKER, K. Partial crosstalk precompensation in downstream VDSL. Signal Processing 84. Elsevier (2004), pp. 2005-2019.
- BRADY, M. H., CIOFFI, J. M. The worst-case interference in DSL systems employing dynamic spectrum management. Hindawi Publishing Corporation EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing. Vol. 2006, Article ID 78524, pp. 1 11.
Keywords: Multi-carrier Modulation, Digital subscriber line, Twisted pair, Crosstalk cancellation, VDMT
Chronic, intractable pain of lower back and lower extremity might develop as the result of unsuccessful surgery of back. This state called failed-back surgery syndrome (FBSS) cannot be effectively treated by pharmacotherapy. Electric stimulation of the dorsal spinal cord is applied to relieve the pain. According to the medical hypothesis, oscillatory activity, which might be related to the analgesic effects, may occur in the cortex during the stimulation. To confirm the presence of the SCS induced oscillations, a new method of detection was designed for this purpose. The analysis of EEG data was performed using power spectral density, confidence intervals, visualization and group statistic for its verification. Parameters of the method were experimentally optimized to maximize its reliability. During ongoing SCS, statistically significant changes were detected and localized at the stimulation frequency and/or its subharmonic or upper harmonic over central midline electrodes in eight patients.
- ALO, K. M., HOLSHEIMER, J. New Trends in Neuromodulation for the Management of Neuropatic Pain. Neurosurgery. April 2002, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 690-704.
- BELL, G. K., KIDD, D., NORTH, R. B. Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Spinal Cord Stimulation in Treatment of Failed Back Surgery Syndrome. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. May 1997, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 286-295.
- BENDAT, J. S., PIERSOL, A. G. Random Data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1971. ISBN 0-471-06470-X.
- KEMLER, M. A. Spinal Cord Stimulation and Pain. Epilepsy & Behavior. 2001, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 88-94.
- KIRIAKOPOULOS, E.T. et al. Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging: A Potential Tool for the Evaluation of Spinal Cord Stimulation: Technical Case Report. Neurosurgery. August 1997, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 501-504.
- KOZAK, J. et al. Methodical Instructions for Acute and Chronic Non-Oncogenous Pain Pharmacotherapy (in Czech). Bolest. 2004, vol. 7, sup. 1, pp. 9-18.
- LINDEROTH, B., MEYERSON, B. A. Central Nervous System Stimulation for Neuropathic Pain. In Neuropathic Pain: Pathophysiology and Treatment. Seattle: IASP Press, 2001, pp. 223-249. ISBN 0-931092-38-8.
- MELZACK, R., WALL, P. D. Pain Mechanisms: A New Theory. Science. November 1965, vol. 150, no. 699, pp. 971-979.
- MEYERSON, B. A., LINDEROTH, B. Spinal Cord Stimulation: Mechanisms of Action in Neuropathic and Ischaemic Pain. In Electrical Stimulation and the Relief of Pain. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science, 2003, pp. 161-182.
- NORTH, R. B. et al. Spinal Cord Stimulation for Chronic, Intractable Pain: Experience Over Two Decades. Neurosurgery. March 1993, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 384-394.
- PALECEK, P., MRUZEK, M. Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (in Czech). Neurologie pro praxi. 2003, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 315-318.
- SHEALY, C. N., MORTIMER, J. T., RESWICK, J. B. Electrical Inhibition of Pain by Stimulation of the Dorsal Columns: Preliminary Report. Anesthesia and Analgesia. July 1967, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 489-491.
- SVOBODA, L. Detection of Electrocortical Rhythms Induced by Spinal Neurostimulator in Patients Suffering from Chronic Pain (in Czech). Diploma thesis. Prague: FEE CTU, Dept. of Circuit Theory, 2006.
- THICKBROOM, G. W. et al. Source Derivation: Application to Topographic Mapping of Visual Evoked Potentials. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology. July 1984, vol. 4, no. 59, pp. 279-285.
- TURNER, J. A., LOESER, J. D., BELL, K. G. Spinal Cord Stimulation for Chronic Low Back Pain: A Systematic Literature Synthesis. Neurosurgery. December 1995, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1088-1095.
- WELCH, P. D. The Use of Fast Fourier Transform for the Estimation of Power Spectra: A Method Based on Time Averaging over Short, Modified Periodograms. IEEE Transactions on Audio & Electroacoustics. June 1967, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 70-73.
- Terminated Cases of Incapacity for Work for Disease or Injury 2005. Prague: UZIS, 2006. ISBN 80-7280-535-5.
Keywords: Power spectral density, failed-back surgery syndrome, spinal cord stimulation, induced oscillations, EEG
This paper suggests a method based on coherence analysis and scalp mapping of coherence suitable for more accurate localization of cortical oscillations induced by electric stimulation of the dorsal spinal cord (SCS), which were previously detected using spectral analysis. While power spectral density shows the increase of power during SCS only at small number of electrodes, coherence extends this area and sharpens its boundary simultaneously. Parameters of the method were experimentally optimized to maximize its reliability. SCS is applied to suppress chronic, intractable pain by patients, whom pharmacotherapy does not relieve. In our study, the pain developed in lower back and lower extremity as the result of unsuccessful vertebral discotomy, which is called failed-back surgery syndrome (FBSS). Our method replicated the results of previous analysis using PSD and extended them with more accurate localization of the area influenced by SCS.
- BENDAT, J. S., PIERSOL, A. G. Random Data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1971.
- BORTEL, R., SOVKA, P. Approximation of Statistical Distribution of Magnitude Squared Coherence Estimated with Segment Overlapping. Signal Processing. 2007, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 1100-1117.
- KOZAK, J. et al. Methodical Instructions for Acute and Chronic Non-Oncogenous Pain Pharmacotherapy (in Czech). Bolest. 2004, vol. 7, sup. 1, pp. 9-18.
- SVOBODA, L. Detection of Electrocortical Rhythms Induced by Spinal Neurostimulator in Patients Suffering from Chronic Pain (in Czech). Diploma thesis. Prague: FEE CTU, Dept. of Circuit Theory, 2006.
- SVOBODA, L., STANCAK, A., SOVKA, P. Detection of Cortical Oscillations Induced by SCS Using Power Spectral Density. Radioengineering. December 2007, vol. 16, no. 4.
- THICKBROOM, G. W. et al. Source Derivation: Application to Topographic Mapping of Visual Evoked Potentials. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology. July 1984, vol. 4, no. 59, pp. 279-285.
Keywords: Magnitude squared coherence, z-coherence, failedback surgery syndrome, spinal cord stimulation, induced oscillations, EEG
In this paper a novel approach for independent component analysis (ICA) model order estimation of movement electroencephalogram (EEG) signals is described. The application is targeted to the brain-computer interface (BCI) EEG preprocessing. The previous work has shown that it is possible to decompose EEG into movement-related and non-movement-related independent components (ICs). The selection of only movement related ICs might lead to BCI EEG classification score increasing. The real number of the independent sources in the brain is an important parameter of the preprocessing step. Previously, we used principal component analysis (PCA) for estimation of the number of the independent sources. However, PCA estimates only the number of uncorrelated and not independent components ignoring the higher-order signal statistics. In this work, we use another approach - selection of highly correlated ICs from several ICA runs. The ICA model order estimation is done at significance level α = 0.05 and the model order is less or more dependent on ICA algorithm and its parameters.
- STASTNY, J. Analysis of States in EEG Signals. Ph.D. thesis, CTU FEE Prague, Department of Circuit Theory, 2005. (In Czech).
- ZEJBRDLICH, J., STASTNY, J., SOVKA, P. Optimal parameterization selection for the brain computer interface. In The 4th WSEAS International Conference on Applications of Electrical Engineering. 2005, p. 300 - 304.
- JAMES, C. J., HESSE, C. W. ICA and BSS applied to biomedical signals: An overview of their use in biomedicine. In The 3rd European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference (EMBEC 2005). 2005, p. 1500 - 1504.
- MULLER, K.-R., VIGARIO, R., MEINECKE, F., ZIEHE, A. Blind source separation techniques for decomposing event-related brain signals. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 2004, vol. 14, no. 2, p. 773 - 791.
- KONOPKA, O., STASTNY, J., SOVKA, P. Movement-related EEG separation using independent component analysis. In The 3rd European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference (EMBEC 2005), 2005, p. 1471 - 1475.
- HUNG, C.-I., LEE, P.-L., WU, Y.-T., CHEN, H.-Y., CHEN, L.-F., YEH, T.-C., HSIEH, J.-C. Recognition of motor imagery electroencephalography using independent component analysis and machine classifiers. In The 12-th International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision'2004, (WSCG 2004). 2004, p. 101 - 108.
- VIGARIO, R., SARELA, J., JOUSMAKI, V., HAMALAINEN, M., OJA, E. Independent component approach to the analysis of EEG and MEG recordings. IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Engineering, 2000, vol. 47, no. 5, p. 589 - 593.
- WENTRUP, M. G., GRAMANN, K., WASCHER, E., BUSS, M. EEG source localization for brain-computer-interfaces. In Proceedings of the 2nd International IEEE EMBS, Conference of Neural Engineering. 2005, p. 128 - 131.
- RUCKAY, L., STASTNY, J., SOVKA, P. Movement-related EEG decomposition using independent component analysis. In Analysis of Biomedical Signals and Images - Proceedings of Biosignal 2006. 2006, p. 78 - 80.
- RUCKAY, L. ICA model order estimation - selection of independent components. Unpublished research report Z06-5, CTU FEE Prague, Dept. of Circuit Theory, Biological Signal Lab., 2006. (In Czech).
- CHOI, S., CICHOCKI, A., PARK, H.-M., LEE, S.-Y. Blind source separation and independent component analysis: A review. Neural Information Processing - Letters and Reviews, 2005, vol. 6, no. 1, p. 1 - 57.
- JUNG, T.-P., MAKEIG, S., HUMPHRIES, C., LEE, T.-W., MCKEOWN, M. J., IRAGUI, V., SEJNOWSKI, T. J. Removing electroencephalographic artifacts by blind source separation. Psychophysiology, 2000, vol. 37, p. 163 - 178.
- JUNG, T.-P., MAKEIG, S., LEE, T.-W., MCKEOWN, M. J., BROWN, G., BELL, A. J., SEJNOWSKI, T. J. Independent component analysis of biomedical signals. In The 2nd International Workshop on Independent Component Analysis and Signal Separation. 2000, p. 633 - 644.
- NICOLAOU, N., NASUTO, S. J. Comparison of temporal and standard independent component analysis (ICA) algorithms for EEG analysis. In Proceedings of ICANN/ICONIP'03, Joint 13th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks and 10th International Conference on Neural Information Processing. 2003, p. 157 - 160.
- HYVARINEN, A., OJA, E. Independent component analysis - Algorithm and application. Neural Networks, 2000, vol. 13, no. 4-5, p. 411 - 430.
- KOLDOVSKY, Z. Fast and Accurate Methods for Independent Component Analysis. Ph.D. thesis, CTU Prague, Faculty of Nuclear Sciences and Physical Engineering, Dept. of Mathematics, 2005.
- STANCAK, A., FEIGEB, B., LUCKING, C. H., KRISTEVA-FEIGE, R. Oscillatory cortical activity and movement-related potentials in proximal and distal movements. Clinical Neurophysiology, 2000, vol. 111, no. 4, p. 636 - 650.
Keywords: EEG classification, brain computer interface, blind source separation, independent component analysis, ICA model order, clustering
We describe a new Watermarking system of medical information security and terminal mobile phone adaptation for PocketNeuro project. The later term refers to a Project created for the service of neurological diseases. It consists of transmitting information about patients \"Desk of Patients\" to a doctor\'s mobile phone when he is visiting or examining his patient. This system is capable of embedding medical information inside diagnostic images for security purposes. Our system applies JPEG Compression to Watermarked images to adapt them to the doctor\'s mobile phone. Experiments performed on a database of 30-256x256 pixel-sized neuronal images show that our Watermarking scheme for image security is robust against JPEG Compression. For the purpose of increasing the image Watermarking robustness against attacks for an image transmission and to perform a large data payload, we encode with Turbo-Code image-embedded bits information. Fidelity is improved by incorporation of the Relative Peak Signal-to-Noise Ratio (RPSNR) as a perceptual metric to measure image degradation.
- KONG, X., FENG, R. Watermarking medical signals for Telemedicine. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, 2001, vol. 5, no. 3, p. 195-201.
- GARCIA, E., GUYENNET, H., LAPAYRE, J. C., MOULIN, T. Adaptive tele-application for remote neurology diagnosis. Journal of Telemedicine and e-Health, 2005, vol. 11, no. 6, p. 692-702.
- MILLER, M. L., DOERR, G. J., COX, I. J. Applying informed coding and informed embedding to design a robust high-capacity watermark. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2004, vol. 13, no. 6, p. 792–807.
- REY, C., AMIS, K., DUGELAY, J. L., PYNDIAH, R., PICART, A. Enhanced robustness in image watermarking using block Turbo-Codes. In Proceedings of SPIE-Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents V. Santa Clara (USA), 2003, p. 330–336.
- CHRISTIAN, J.V.D.B., LAMBRECHT, J. E., FARREL. Perceptual quality metric for digitally coded color images. In Proceedings of EUSIPCO. Italy, 1996, p. 1175-1178.
- CHEMAK, C., BOUHLEL, M. S., LAPAYRE, J. C. Algorithme de Tatouage Robuste et Aveugle pour la Deontologie et le Transfert des Informations Medicales: Le Tatouage Combinee ATRADTIM, Brevet d'Invention a l'INNORPI, Decembre 2006, No : SN06448.
- KHALFALLAH, A., KAMMOUN, F., BOUHLEL, M. S., OLIVIER, C. A new scheme of watermarking in multi-resolution filed by 5/3 wavelet: Family signature combined with the adapted embedding strength. In Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies: from Theory to Applications (ICTTA'06). Damascus (Syria), 2006, p. 1145-1152.
- CHEMAK, C., LAPAYRE, J. C, BOUHLEL, M. S. A new scheme of image watermarking based on 5/3 wavelet decomposition and Turbo-Code. In the Book of abstracts of the (WSEAS) European Computing Conference (ECC'07). Athens (Greece), September 2007, p. 11. (The proceeding will be published by SPRINGER VERLAG).
- ADAMS, M. D., KOSSENTNI, F. Reversible integer-to-integer wavelet transforms for image compression: performance evaluation and analysis. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, June 2000, vol. 9, no. 6, p. 1010 – 1024.
- CHEMAK, C., BOUHLEL, M. S. Near Shannon limit for Turbo-Code with short frames. In Proc. of the 2nd IEEE Int. Conference on Information and Communication Technologies from Theory to Applications (ICTTA'06). Damascus (Syria), 2006, p. 1994 - 1997.
- CHAN, F. Adaptive Viterbi decoding of Turbo-Codes with short frames. In Proceedings of the IEEE Communication Theory Mini-Conference. Vancouver (Canada), June 1999, p.47 – 51.
- CHAPPELIER, V., GUILLEMOT, C., MARINKOVIC, S. Turbo trellis coded quantization. In Proceedings of the Int. Symposium on Turbo-Codes, Brest (France), Sep. 2003.
- KUTTER, M., PETITCOLAS, F. A. P. A fair benchmark for image watermarking systems. In Proc. of SPIE Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents. San Jose (USA), 1999, p. 226-239.
- WINKLER, S. A perceptual distortion metric for digital color video. In SPIE Proceedings of Human Vision and Electronic Imaging IV. San Jose (USA), January 1999, p. 175-184.
- WESTEN, S. J. P., LAGENDIJK, R. L., BIOMOND, J. Perceptual image quality based on a multiple channel HVS model. In Proceeding of ICASSP'95. Detroit (USA), 1995, p. 2351-2354.
Keywords: PocketNeuro project, multi-resolution field, turbocode, R.P.S.N.R., robustness, fidelity
Texture is one of most popular features for image classification and retrieval. Forasmuch as grayscale textures provide enough information to solve many tasks, the color information was not utilized. But in the recent years, many researchers have begun to take color information into consideration. In the texture analysis field, many algorithms have been enhanced to process color textures and new ones have been researched. In this paper the new method for color GLCM textures and comparing with other good known methods is presented.
- HAN, M. H., JANG, D. The use of maximum curvature points for the recognition of partially occluded objects. Pattern Recognition. 1990, vol. 23, no. 1, p.21-23.
- MANJUNATH, B. S., SALEMBIER, P., SIKORA, T. Introduction to MPEG-7 Multimedia Content Description Interface. March 2003, ISBN:0-471-48678-7.
- RO, Y. M., KIM, M., KANG, H. K., MANJUNATH, B.S., KIM, J. W. MPEG-7 homogeneous texture descriptor. ETRI Journal. 2001, vol. 23, no. 2.
- ALSHAMERI, F., WEGMAN, E. J. Automated Metadata for Image Mining. http://datamining.itsc.uah.edu/meeting06/papers/alshameri_wegman _gmu.pdf.
- FORD, A., ROBERTS, A. Colour Space Conversions. August 11, 1998, http://www.poynton.com/PDFs/ coloureq.pdf
- MUNIZ, R., CORRALES, J.A. Novel techniques for color texture classification. In IPCV'06: Proceedings. 2006, p. 114-120.
Keywords: GLCM, Gabor filters, features extraction, image classification, image retrieval, color textures
Content adaptive true motion estimator for H.264 video coding is a fast block-based matching estimator with implemented multi-stage approach to estimate motion fields between two image frames. It considers the theory of 3D scene objects projection into 2D image plane for selection of motion vector candidates from the higher stages. The stages of the algorithm and its hierarchy are defined upon motion estimation reliability measurement (image blocks including two different directions of spatial gradient, blocks with one dominant spatial gradient and blocks including minimal spatial gradient). Parameters of the image classification into stages are set adaptively upon image structure. Due to search strategy are the estimated motion fields more corresponding to a true motion in an image sequence as in the case of conventional motion estimation algorithms that use fixed sets of motion vector candidates from tight neighborhood.
- VIRK, K., KHAN, N., MASUD, S. Low complexity recursive search based motion estimation algorithm for video coding applications. In Proc. of the 13th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO 2005), Sept. 2005.
- ZHU, S., MA, K. K. A new diamond search algorithm for fast block matching motion estimation. In Proc. of Int. Conf. Information, Communications and Signal Processing, 1997, vol. 1, pp. 292-6.
- THAM, J. Y., RANGANATH, S., RANGANATH, M., KASSIM, A. A. A novel unrestricted center-biased diamond search algorithm for block motion estimation. IEEE Trans. on Circuits & Systems for Video Technology, 1998, vol. 8, pp.369-77.
- TOURAPIS, A. M., SHEN, G., LIOU, M. L. A new predictive diamond search algorithm for block based motion estimation. In Proc. of Visual Communications and Image Processing 2000 (VCIP-2000), June 2000.
- TOURAPIS, A. M. Fast motion estimation within the H.264 codec. In Proc. 2003 International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, vol. 3, pp. 517-20, July 2003.
- TOURAPIS, A. M. H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Reference Software Manual JVT-X072. In Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG & ITU-T VCEG 24th Meeting: Geneva, pp. 75 , June 2007.
- WANG, Y., OSTERMANN, J., ZHANG, Y. Q. Video Processing and Communications. Prentice-Hall, 2002, pp. 609.
- HUSKA, J., KULLA, P. Adaptive image regions segmentation based on motion estimation confidence. In ELITECH 2007 9th Scientific Conference for PhD. Students. Bratislava: FEI STU v Bratislave, 2007, ISBN 978-80-227-2655-9, CD-ROM.
- CHEN, Y. K., LIN, Y. T., KUNG, S. Y. A feature tracking algorithm using neighborhood relaxation with multi-candidate pre-screening. In Proc. of International Conference on Image Processing, Sept. 1996, vol. II., pp. 513-516.
- NEUMANN, U., YOU, S. Adaptive multi-stage 2D image motion field estimation. In Proc. of SPIE Conf. on Applications of Digital Image Processing XXI, July 1998, vol. 3460, pp. 116-123.
- HUSKA, J., KULLA, P. A new block based motion estimation with true region motion field. In IEEE Region 8 EUROCON 2007 The International Conference on Computer as a Tool. Warsaw, 2007, ISBN 1-4244-0813-X, pp. 182-188.
- HUSKA, J., KULLA, P. A new recursive search with multi stage approach for fast block based true motion estimation. In Proceedings of 17th International Conference RADIOELEKTRONIKA 2007. Brno: MJ servis, 2007, ISBN 978-80-214-3390-8, pp. 227-232.
- WITTEBROOD, R., DE HAAN, G. Feature point selection for object-based motion estimation on a programmable device. In Proc. of Visual Communications and Image Processing, 2002, vol. 4671, pp. 687-697.
- FELZENSZWALB, P. F., HUTTENLOCHER, D. P. Efficient graph-based image segmentation. International Journal of Computer Vision, 2004, vol. 59, no. 2.
- BOVIK, A. Handbook of Image and Video Processing. Academic Press Series in Communications, Networking, and Multimedia, 2000, pp. 891.
- HUSKA, J., KULLA, P. Possibilities of motion vectors interpolation in block based motion estimation for H.264 video compression. In TRANSCOM 2007 7th European Conference of Young Research and Scientific Workers. Zilina: University of Zilina, 2007, ISBN 978-80-8070-693-7, pp. 93-98.
- DE HAAN, G., LBANIY, L., OLIVIERIY, S. Noise robust recursive motion estimation for H.263 based video conferencing systems. In Proc. of International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, Sep. 1999, pp. 345-350.
- HARRIS, C., STEPHENS, M. A combined corner and edge detection. In Proc. of the 4th Alvey Vision Conf. 1988, pp. 147-151.
- Weighted average. In Wikipedia The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_average, online, 27th February 2007.
- CHEN, Z., ZHOU, P., HE, Y. Fast Motion Estimation for JVT, JVT of ISO/IEC MPEG & ITU-T VCEG, JVT-G016, March 2003.
- Video Traces Research Group, YUV video sequences, http://trace.eas.asu.edu/yuv/index.html, online 27th February 2007.
- RIES, M., CRESPI DE ARRIBA, C., NEMETHOVA, O., RUPP, M. Content based video quality estimation for H.264/AVC video streaming. In Proceedings of IEEE Wireless and Communications & Networking Conference, Hong Kong, March 2007.
Keywords: Motion estimation, H.264, true motion field, multi stage, estimation reliability, objects projection
The geometrical attacks are still an open problem for many digital watermarking algorithms used in present time. Most of geometrical attacks can be described by using affine transforms. This article deals with digital watermarking in images robust against the affine transformations. The new approach to improve robustness against geometrical attacks is presented. The discrete Fourier transform and log-polar mapping is used for watermark embedding and for watermark detection. Some attacks against the embedded watermarks are performed and the results are given.
- DEGUILLAUME, F., VOLOSHYNOVSKIY, S., PUN, T. A method for the estimation and recovering from general affine transforms in digital watermarking applications. In Proc. SPIE Vol. 4675, Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents IV, p. 313-322, 04/2002.
- LIU, Y., ZHAO, J. Rotation, scaling, translation invariant image watermarking based on radon transform. In First Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision. Ottawa (Canada), May 17-19, 2004, p. 225-232.
- RUANAIDH, J. J. K., PUN, T. Rotation, scale and translation invariant digital image watermarking. In Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing 1997 (ICIP 97). Santa Barbara (CA), Oct. 1997, vol. 1, p. 536-539.
- VOLOSHYNOVSKIY, S. et al. Attack modeling: Towards a second generation watermarking benchmark. Sig. Processing, Special Issue on Information Theoretic Issues in Digital Watermarking. 2001, vol. 81, no. 6, p. 1177-1214.
- ZHENG, D., ZHAO, J., El SADDIK, A. RST Invariant digital image watermarking based on log-polar mapping and phase correlation. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Special Issue on Authentication, Copyright Protection and Information Hiding, August 2003, vol. 13, issue 8, p. 753-765.
Keywords: Digital watermarking, geometrical attacks, discrete Fourier transform, log-polar mapping, hash function
In this paper, biometric security system for access control based on hand geometry is presented. Biometric technologies are becoming the foundation of an extensive array of highly secure identification and personal verification solutions. Experiments show that the physical dimensions of a human hand contain information that is capable to verify the identity of an individual. The database created for our system consists of 408 hand images from 24 people of young ages and different sex. Different pattern recognition techniques have been tested to be used for verification. Achieved experimental results FAR=0,1812% and FRR=14,583% show the possibilities of using this system in environment with medium security level with full acceptance from all users.
- KUNG, S. Y., MAK, M. W., LIN, S. H. Biometric Authentication. Published as Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference. New Jersey: First Printing, September 2004.
- VARCHOL, P., LEVICKY, D. Implementation of Gaussian mixture models for biometric security system. In Proceedings Komunikacne a informacne technologie, Tatranske Zruby (Slovak Republic), 2007.
- VARCHOL, P., LEVICKY, D. Access security based on biometric. In Proceedings Research in Telecommunication Technology. Nove Mesto na Morave (Slovak Republic), 2006.
- SANCHEZ-REILLO, R. Biometric identification through hand geometry measurements. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. ISSN: 0162-8828. Washington, 2000.
- JAIN, A., ROSS, A. A prototype hand geometry-based verification system. In Proceedings of 2nd Int. Conference on Audio- and Video-based Biometric Person Authentication. Washington (USA), 1999.
- YOUNG, S. The HTK Book (for HTK Version 3.2). First published December 1995, Revised for HTK Version 3.2 December 2002.
Keywords: Biometric security, hand geometry recognition, Gaussian mixture model, expectation-maximization algorithm
This paper considers the application of the linear constraints and RLS inverse QR decomposition in adaptive arrays based on constant modulus criterion. The computational procedures of adaptive algorithms are presented. Linearly constrained least squares adaptive arrays, constant modulus adaptive arrays and linearly constrained constant modulus adaptive arrays are compared via simulation. It is demonstrated, that a constant phase shift in the array output signal, caused by desired signal orientation and array weights, is compensated in a simple way in linearly constrained constant modulus adaptive arrays.
- BENENSON, L. S., ZHOURAVLEV, V. A., POPOV, S. V., POSTNOV, G. A. Antenna Arrays: Computation and Design Methods. Moscow: Soviet Radio, 1966. (in Russian).
- BRATCHIKOV, A. N., VASIN, V. I., VASILENKO, O. O. etc. Active Phased Arrays. Moscow: Radioengineering, 2004. (in Russian).
- HUDSON, J. E. Adaptive Array Principles. Loughborough: Peter Peregrinus Ltd., 1981.
- HAYKIN, S. Adaptive Filter Theory. 4th edition. Prentice Hall, 2001.
- SAYED, A. H. Fundamentals of Adaptive Filtering. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, Inc, 2003.
- GODARA, L. C. Application of antenna arrays to mobile communications. II. Beam-forming and direction-of-arrival considerations. Proc. of the IEEE, 1997, vol. 85, no.8, p. 1195-1245.
- DJIGAN, V. I. Applied library of adaptive algorithms. Electronics: Science, Technology, Business, 2006, no. 1, p. 60-65. (in Russian).
- SOLOKHINA, T., ALEXANDROV, Y., PETRICHKOVICH, J. Signal controllers of "ELVEES" company: first line of Russian DSP. Electronics: Science, Technology, Business, 2005, no. 7, p. 70-77. (in Russian).
- FROST, O. L. An algorithm for linearly constrained adaptive array processing. Proc. of the IEEE, 1972, vol. 60, no. 8, p. 926-935.
- SHAN, T.-J., KAILATH, T. Adaptive beamforming for coherent signals and interference. IEEE Trans. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 1985, vol. 33, no. 3, p. 527-536.
- TREICHLER, J., LARIMORE, M. New processing techniques based on the constant modulus adaptive algorithm. IEEE Trans. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 1985, vol. 33, no. 2, p. 420-431.
- GOOCH, R., LUNDELL, J. The CM array: An adaptive beamformer for constant modulus signals. In Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 1986, vol. 11, p. 2523-2526.
- TREICHLER, J., LARIMORE, M. The tone capture properties of CMA-based interference suppressors. IEEE Trans. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 1985, vol. 33, no. 4, p. 946-958.
- RUDE, M. J. GRIFFITHS, L. J. Incorporation of linear constraints into the constant modulus algorithm. In Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 1989, vol. 2, p. 968-971.
- DJIGAN, V. I. Multichannel RLS and fast RLS adaptive filtering algorithms. Successes of Modern Radioelectronics, 2004, no. 11, p. 48-77. (in Russian).
- YANG, B. Projection approximation subspace tracking. IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, 1995, vol. 43, no. 1, p. 95-107.
- CHEN ,Y. X., HE, Z. Y., NG, T. S., KWOK, P. C. K. RLS adaptive blind beamforming algorithm for cyclostationary signals. Electronics, 1999, vol. 35, no.14, p. 1136-1138.
- CHEN, Y., LE-NGOC, T., CHAMPAGNE, B., XU, C. Recursive least squares constant modulus algorithm for blind adaptive array. IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, 2004, vol. 52, no. 5, p. 1452-1456.
- DJIGAN, V. I., PLETNEVA, I. D. Adaptive filtering algorithms based QR decomposition in digital arrays for communication. Digital Signal Processing, 2007, no. 4, p. 2-8. (in Russian).
- DJIGAN, V. I. On conditions of equivalence for different recursive least squares adaptive filtering algorithms. Telecommunications, 2006, no. 6, p. 6-11. (in Russian).
- WANG, L.-K., SCHULTE, M. J. Decimal floating-point division using Newton-Raphson iteration. In Proc. of the 15-th IEEE International Conference on Application-Specific Systems, Architectures and Processors, 2004, p. 84-95.
Keywords: Adaptive array, constant modulus criterion, RLS, inverse QR decomposition, linear constraints
In blind source separation (BSS), multiple mixtures acquired by an array of sensors are processed in order to recover the initial multiple source signals. While a variety of Independent Component Analysis (ICA)-based techniques are being used, in this paper we used a newly proposed method: The Degenerate Unmixing and Estimation Technique (DUET). The method applies when sources are W-disjoint orthogonal; that is, when the time-frequency representations, of any two signals in the mixtures are disjoint sets. The method uses an online algorithm to perform gradient search for the mixing parameters, and simultaneously construct binary time-frequency masks that are used to partition one of the mixtures to recover the original source signals. Previous studies have demonstrated the robustness of the method. However, the investigation in this paper reveals significant drawbacks associated with the technique which should be addressed in the future.
- CARDOSO, J.-F. Blind signal separation: statistical principles. Proceedings of the IEEE, 1998, vol. 86, no. 10, pp. 2009-2025.
- BELL, A. J., SEJNOWSKI, T. J. An information maximization approach to blind separation and blind deconvolution. Neural Computation, 1995, pp. 1129-1159.
- WEINSTEIN, E., FEDER, M., OPPENHEIM, A. Multichannel signal separation by decorrelation. IEEE Transaction on Speech and Audio Processing, 1993, vol. 1, pp. 405-413.
- PARRA, L., SPENCE, C. Convolutive blind separation of non-stationary sources. IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, 2000, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 320-327.
- BROMAN, H., LINDGREN, U., SAHLIN, H., STOICA, P. Source separation: A TITO system identification approach. Signal Processing, 1999, vol. 73, pp. 169-183.
- JOURJINE, A., RICKARD, S., YILMAZ, O. Blind separation of disjoint orthogonal signals: demixing N sources from 2 mixtures. In IEEE ICASSP'2000. Istanbul (Turkey), 2000, vol. 5, pp. 2985-2988.
- ARAKI, S., MAKINO, S., SAWADA, H., MUKAI, R. Underdetermined blind separation of convolutive mixtures of speech with directivity pattern based mask and ICA. In ICA2004 Fifth International Conference on Independent Component Analysis and Blind Signal Separation. 2004, pp. 898-905.
- RICKARD, S., BALAN, R., ROSCA, J. Real-time time-frequency based blind source separation. In Proc. Int. Workshop Independent Component Analysis and Blind Source Separation. San Diego, CA (USA), 2001, pp. 651-656.
- ALLEN, J. B. Short term spectral analysis, synthesis and modification by discrete Fourier transform. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 1977, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 235-238.
Keywords: Blind source separation, DUET, Time-frequency masking
Discrete wavelet transform (DWT) can be used in various applications, such as image compression and coding. In this paper we examine how DWT can be used in image interpolation. Afterwards proposed method is compared with two other traditional interpolation methods. For the case of magnified image achieved by interpolation, original image is unknown and there is no perfect way to judge the magnification quality. Common approach is to start with an original image, generate a lower resolution version of original image by downscaling, and then use different interpolation methods to magnify low resolution image. After that original and magnified images are compared to evaluate difference between them using different picture quality measures. Our results show that comparison of image interpolation methods depends on downscaling technique, image contents and quality metric. For fair comparison all these parameters need to be considered.
- THEVENAZ, P., BLU, T., UNSER, M. Image interpolation and resampling. In Handbook of Medical Imaging, Processing and Analysis, I.N. Bankman, Ed., Academic Press, San Diego CA, USA, pp. 393-420, 2000.
- ROWLAND, S. W. Computer implementation of image reconstruction formulas. In Image Reconstruction from Projections: Implementation and Applications, G. T. Herman Ed. Berlin, Germany: Springer- Verlag, pp. 9-70, 1979.
- FAIRES, J. D., BURDEN, R. L. Numerical Methods. Boston, MA: PWS, 1993.
- HOU, H. S., ANDREWS, H. C. Cubic splines for image interpolation and digital filtering. IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, 1978, vol. ASSP-26, no. 6, pp. 508-517.
- KEYS, R. G. Cubic convolution interpolation for digital image processing. IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, 1981, vol. ASSP-29, no. 6, pp. 1153-1160.
- MAELAND, E. On the comparison of interpolation methods. IEEE Trans. Med. Imag., 1988, vol. MI-7, pp. 213-217.
- PARKER, J. A., KENYON, R. V., TROXEL, D. E. Comparison of interpolating methods for image resampling. IEEE Trans. Med. Imag., 1983, vol. MI-2, pp. 31-39.
- DANIELSSON, P. E., HAMMERIN, M. High Accuracy Rotation of Images. Department of Electrical Engineering, Linkoping University, Sweden, Tech. Rep. LiTH-ISY-I-11521990.
- DANIELSSON, P. E., HAMMERIN, M. Note: High accuracy rotation of images. CVGIP: Graph. Models Image Processing, 1992, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 340-344.
- UNSER, M., ALDROUBI, A., EDEN, M. Fast B-splines transforms for continuous image representation and interpolation. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell., 1991, vol. 13, pp. 277-285.
- APPLEDORN, C. R. A new approach to the interpolation of sampled data. IEEE Trans. Med. Imag., 1996, vol. 15, pp. 369-376.
- DODGSON, N. A. Quadratic interpolation for image resampling. IEEE Trans. Image Processing, 1997, vol. 6, pp. 1322-1326.
- MALLAT, S. A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing. Second edition, Academic Press, 1999.
- CHANG, S. G., CVETKOVIC, Z., VETTERLI, M. Resolution enhancement of images using wavelet transform extrema interpolation. IEEE ICASSP, May 1995, pp. 2379-2382.
- CAREY, W. K., CHUANG, D. B., HEMAMI, S. S. Regularity-preserving image interpolation. IEEE Trans. Image Proc., 1999, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 1293-1297.
- MALLAT, S., ZHONG, S. Characterization of signals from multiscale edges. IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, July 1992, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 710-732.
- HUANG, Y. L., CHANG, R. F. MLP interpolation for digital image processing using wavelet transform. In Proceedings of IEEE ICASSP-99, Phoenix (Arizona, USA), pp. 3217-3220.
- KINEBUCHI, K., MURESAN, D. D., PARKS, T. W. Image interpolation using wavelet-based Hidden Markov Trees. In Proceedings of IEEE Inter. Conf. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing. 7-11 May 2001, vol. 3, pp. 1957-1960.
- WOO, D. H. , EOM, I. K., KIM, Y. S. Image interpolation based on interscale dependency in wavelet domain. IEEE ICIP, Oct. 2004, vol. 3, pp. 1687-1690.
- ZHU, Y., SCHWARTZ, S. C., ORCHARD, M. T. Wavelet domain image interpolation via statistical estimation. In Proc. IEEE Inter. Conf. Image Proc., 07-10 Oct. 2001, vol. 3, pp. 840 - 843.
- UNSER, M. Approximation power of biorthogonal wavelet expansions. IEEE Trans. Signal Proc., March 1996, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 519-527.
- CHANG, S. G., CVETKOVIC, Z., VETTERLI, M. Locally adaptive wavelet-based image interpolation. IEEE Trans. Image Proc., June 2006, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1471-1485.
- COHEN, A., DAUBECHIES, I., FEAUVEAU, J. C. Biorthogonal bases of compactly supported wavelets. Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, 1992, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 485-560.
- WEI, D., PAI, H. T., BOVIK, A.C. Antisymmetric biorthogonal coiflets for image coding. In IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, October 1998, pp. 282-286.
- MONRO, D. M., SHERLOCK, B. G. Space-frequency balance in biorthogonal wavelets. In IEEE Inter. Conf. Image Proc., 1997, vol. 1, pp. 624-627.
- TSAI, M. J., VILLASENOR, J. D., CHEN, F. Stack run image coding. IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, October 1996, vol. 6, pp. 519-521.
- VILLASENOR, J. D., BELZER, B., LIAO, J. Wavelet filter evaluation for image compression. IEEE Trans. on Image Proc., August 1995, vol. 4, no. 8.
- RODRIGUES, M. A. M., DA SILVA, E. A. B., DINIZ, P. S. R. Design of wavelets for image compression satisfying perceptual criteria. Electronics Letters, January 1997, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 40-41.
- SPRLJAN, N., GRGIC, S., GRGIC, M. Selection of biorthogonal filters for wavelet image compression. In Proc. of IWSSIP 2003, Prague (Czech Republic), 10-11 September 2003, pp. 48-52.
- SU, D., WILLIS, P. Image interpolation by pixel level data-dependent triangulation. Computer Graphics Forum, June 2004, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 189-201.
- MUNOZ, A., BLU, T., UNSER, M. Least-squares image resizing using finite differences. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, September 2001, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 1365-1378.
- MURESAN, D. D., PARKS, T. W. Adaptive, optimal-recovery image interpolation. In IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 2001, vol. 3, pp. 1949-1952.
- BLU, T., THEVENAZ, P., UNSER, M. MOMS: Maximal Order interpolation of Minimal Support. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, September 2001, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1069-1080.
- GRGIC, S., GRGIC, M., MRAK, M. Reliability of objective picture quality measures. Journal of Elect. Engineering, January 2004, vol. 55, no. 1-2, pp. 3-10.
- MIYAHARA, M., KOTANI, K., ALGAZI, V. R. Objective Picture Quality Scale (PQS) for image coding. IEEE Trans. on Comm., September 1998, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1215-1226.
- WANG, Z., BOVIK, A. C., SHEIKH, H. R., SIMONCELLI, E. P. Image quality assessment: From error visibility to structural similarity. IEEE Trans. on Image Proc., April 2004, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 600-612.
- Test Images Lena and Baboon, Available: www.i3s.unice.fr/~garciav/goodies_images.php
- Medical Images Database, Available: www.ece.ncsu.edu/imaging/Archives/ImageDataBase/
Keywords: Image interpolation, image quality, wavelets, image downscaling, image upscaling
In this paper we analyze the relationship between integer Lifting scheme and Rounding transform as means to compute the wavelet transform in signal processing area. We bring some new results which better describe relationship, reversibility and equivalence of integer lifting scheme and rounding transform concept.
- BURRUS, S., GOPINATH, R., GUO, H. Introduction to Wavelets and Wavelet Transforms. Prentice Hall, 1998, ISBN 0-13-489600-9.
- VETTERLI, M., KOVACEVIC, J. Wavelets and Subband Coding. Prentice Hall, 1995, ISBN 0-13-097080-8.
- STRANG, G., NGUYEN, T. Wavelets and Filter Banks. Wellesley-Cambridge Press, 1996, ISBN 0-9614088-7-1.
- JUNG, H., PROST, R. Rounding transform and its application for lossless pyramid structured coding. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 1998, vol. 7, no. 2.
- JUNG, H., PROST, R. Rounding transform based approach for lossless subband coding. In International Conference on Image Processing, 1997.
- JUNG, H., PROST, R. Lossless subband coding system based on rounding transform. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 1998, vol. 46, no. 9.
- JUNG, H., PROST, R. Multi-port filtering system for lossless image compression. In International Conference on Image Processing, 1998.
- JUNG, H., PROST, R. Multi-channel overlapping rounding transform for HINT and subband lossless image compression. Signal Processing, 2000, vol. 80, no. 12.
- CALDERBANK, R., DAUBECHIES, I. Wavelet transforms that map integers to integers. Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis (ACHA), 1998, vol. 5, no. 3.
- CHAO, P. An approach to fast integer wavelet transforms for lossless image compression. In Proc. of International Symposium on Computational Mathematics. Guangzhou (China), 1997.
- PROCHASKA, J., VARGIC, R. Compression of bitonal images using nonlinear wavelet transform. In Proc. 6th International Conference Research in Telecommunication Technology RTT 2005. Hradec nad Moravici (Czech Republic), Sept. 12-14, 2005, p. 587-591.
- ZANDI, A., ALLEN, J. D. CREW: Compression with Reversible Embedded Wavelets. In Proceedings of the Conference on Data Compression, 1995.
- SAID, A., PEARLMAN, W. A. An image multiresolution representation for lossless and lossy compression. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 1996, vol. 5, no. 9, p.1303 - 1310.
- ADAMS, M., KOSSENTINI, F. On the relationship between the overlapping rounding transform and lifting frameworks for reversible subband transforms. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2000, vol. 48, no. 1, p. 261-266.
Keywords: Wavelet, lifting, transform, integer, rounding
Statistical description of quantization process is common in the theory of quantization. For the case of nonsubtractive dither theoretical analyses of the dithered quantizer have been confronted with experimental results. As a quantization system one-chip microcomputer with the analog-to-digital converter on a chip has been used. Generally valid criteria for dithered system performance have been practically applied for Gaussian dither. Interaction of natural noise present in the signal with an added Gaussian noise of several different disperses and influence of differential nonlinearity of the converter has been observed.
- WANNAMAKER, R. A., LIPSHITZ, S. P., VANDERKOOY, J., WRIGHT, J. N. A theory of nonsubtractive dither. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, February 2000, vol. 48, no. 2.
- CARBONE, P., PETRI, D. Performance of stochastic and deterministic dithered quantizers. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, April 2000, vol. 49, no. 2.
- CARBONE, P., PETRI, D. Effect of additive dither on the resolution of ideal quantizers. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, June 1994, vol. 43, no. 3.
- DADO, S., VEDRAL, J. Digital Measurement. Devices and Methods. Prague: CVUT, 2002. Lecture notes (in Czech), 232 pp., ISBN 80-01-02492-X.
- LAMOS, F., POTOCKY, R. Probability and Mathematical Statistics. Statistical Analyses. Bratislava: Alfa, 1989. (In Slovak.)
- WIDROW, B., KOLLAR, I. Quantization Noise in Digital Computation, Signal Processing, and Control. Home page of the book http://www.mit.bme.hu/books/quantization/, prepared for publication by the fall of 2007.
- WIDROW, B., KOLLAR, I. Statistical theory of quantization. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, April 1996, vol. 45, no. 2.
- CARBONE, P. Quantitative criteria for design of dither-based quantizing systems. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, June 1997, vol. 46, no. 3.
- SKARTLIEN, R., OYEHAUG, L. Quantization error and resolution in ensemble averaged data with noise. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, June 2005, vol. 54, no. 3.
Keywords: Quantization, nonsubtractive dither, averaging, Gaussian noise