June 2011, Volume 20, Number 2
J. R. Mosig, M. Mazanek, M. Polivka
Guest Editorial Special Issue towards EuCAP 2012 “Emerging Materials, Methods, and Technologies in Antenna & Propagation”
M. Guardiola, L. Jofre, S. Capdevila, S. Blanch, J. Romeu
3D UWB Magnitude-Combined Tomographic Imaging for Biomedical Applications. Algorithm Validation
Biomedical microwave imaging is a topic of continuous research for its potential in different areas especially in breast cancer detection. In this paper, 3D UWB Magnitude-Combined tomographic algorithm is assessed for this recurrent application, but also for a more challenging one such as brain stroke detection. With the UWB Magnitude-Combined concept, the algorithm can take advantage of both the efficiency of Fourier Diffraction Theorem-based tomographic formulation and the robustness and image quality improvement provided by a multi-frequency combination.
- NASS, S. J., HENDERSON, I. C., LASHOF, J. C. Mammography and Beyond: Developing Technologies for the Early Detection of Breast Cancer. Washington D.C. (USA), National Academies Press, 2001.
- LAZEBNIK, M., McCARTNEY, L., POPOVIC, D., WATKINS, C. B., LINDSTROM, M. J., HARTER, J., SEWALL, S., MAGLIOCCO, A., BOOSKE, J. H., OKONIEWSKI, M., HAGNESS, S. C. A large-scale study of the ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal, benign and malignant breast tissues obtained from cancer surgeries. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2007, vol. 52, no. 20, p. 6093 - 5115.
- XU, L., BOND, E. J., VAN BEEN, B. D., HAGNESS, S. C. An overview of ultra-wideband microwave imaging via space-time beamforming for early-stage breast-cancer detection. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 2005, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 19 - 34.
- FHAGER, A., PERSSON, M. Using a priori data to improve the reconstruction of small objects in microwave tomography. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 2007, vol. 55, no. 11, p. 2454 - 2462.
- GILMORE, C., ABUBAKAR, A., HU, W, HABASHY, T. M., VAN DEN BERG, P. M. Microwave Biomedical Data Inversion Using the Finite-Difference Contrast Source Inversion Method. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2009, vol. 57, no. 5, p. 1528 - 1538.
- De ZAEYTIJD, J., FRANCHOIS, A., EYRAUD, C., GREFFIN, J. M. Full-wave three-dimensional microwave imaging with a regularized Gauss-Newton method theory and experiment. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2007, vol. 55, no. 11, p. 3279 - 3292.
- SEMENOV, S., BULYSHEV, A., SOUVOROV, A., NAZAROV, A., SIZOV, Y., SVENSON, R., POSUKH, A., PAVLOVSKY, A., REPIN, P., TATSIS, G. Three-dimensional microwave tomography: experimental imaging of phantoms and biological objects. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 2000, vol. 48, no. 6, p. 1071 - 1074.
- GOLNABI, A. H., MEANEY, P. M., GEIMER, S., PAULSEN, K. D. Microwave imaging for breast cancer detection and therapy monitoring. In IEEE Topical Conference on Biomedical Wireless Technologies, Networks, and Sensing Systems (BioWireleSS). Phoenix (AZ, USA), 2011, 59 - 62.
- RIUS, J. M., PICHOT, C., JOFRE, L., BOLOMEY, J. C., JOACHIMOWICZ, N., BROQUETAS, A., FERRANDO, M. Planar and cylindrical active microwave temperature imaging: numerical simulations. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 1992, vol. 11, no. 4, p. 457 - 469.
- JOFRE, L., HAWLEY, M. S., BROQUETAS, A., DE LOS REYES, E., FERRANDO, M., ELIAS-FUSTE, A. R. Medical imaging with a microwave tomographic scanner. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 1990, vol. 37, no. 3, p. 303 - 312.
- JOFRE, L., BROQUETAS, A., ROMEU, J., BLANCH, S., PAPIO, A., FABREGAS, X., CARDAMA, A. UWB tomographic radar imaging of penetrable and impenetrable objects. Proceedings of the IEEE, 2009, vol. 97, no. 2, p.451 - 464.
- GUARDIOLA, M., CAPDEVILA, S., JOFRE, L. UWB-bifocusing tomography for breast tumor detection. In Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP 2009. Berlin (Germany), 2009, p. 1855 - 1859.
- SEMENOV, S. Y., CORFIELD, D. R. Microwave tomography for brain imaging: Feasibility assessment for stroke detection. International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2008, vol. 2008, 8 pages.
- SLANLEY, M., KAK, A., LARSEN, L. Limitations of imaging with first order diffraction tomography. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 1984, vol. 32, no. 8, p. 860 - 874.
- ROMEU, J., JOFRE, L. Truncation errors in cylindrical near to far field transform. A plane wave synthesis approach. In Proceedings of the 22nd European Microwave Conference, 1992, vol. 1, p. 659 - 663.
- GUARDIOLA, M., FHAGER, A., JOFRE, L., PERSSON, M. Circular microwave tomographic imaging. Experimental comparison between quantitative and qualitative algorithms. In Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP 2011. Rome (Italy), 2011.
- KLEMM, M., CRADDOCK, I. J., LEENDERTZ, J. A., PREECE, A., BENJAMIN, R. Radar-based breast cancer detection using hemispherical antenna array – Experimental results. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2009, vol. 57, no. 6, p. 1692 - 1704.
Keywords: Tomography, Biomedical Imaging, Microwave Imaging, Breast Cancer, Brain Stroke, Experimental Verification
J. Lizarraga, C. del-Rio
Resolution Capabilities of Future THz Cameras
THz technology for developing imaging systems has recently aroused great interest, mainly due to the large number of applications in which these frequencies can be used: security, vision in hard environments, etc. In this paper we propose a method that reduces significantly the number of detectors needed for achieving certain resolution by means of diffraction that paradoxically is its main limiting factor in current imaging devices. The method uses diffraction as a way of achieving the advantages of the spatial diversity (information spread over a set of detectors) giving also the possibility to increase the resolution of the obtained images interpolating samples between detectors thanks to the slow variation function created by the diffraction phenomena.
- KOLB, H., FERNANDEZ, E., NELSON, R. Visual Acuity. WebVision. [Online]. Available at: http://webvision.med.utah.edu/KallSpatial.html. [July 3rd 2009].
- ABRAMOWITZ, M. et al. Concepts in digital image technology. Optical Microscopy Primer. [Online]. Available at: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/digitalimaging/concepts/conce pts.html. February 21st 2005 [September 25th 2009].
- SPRING, K. R., FELLERS, T. J., DAVIDSON, M. W. Introduction to Charge-Coupled Devices (CCDs). MicroscopyU. [Online]. Available: http://www.microscopyu.com/articles/digitalimaging/ccdintro.html [September 28th 2009].
- STEWARD, E. G. Fourier Optics: An Introduction. 2nd ed., Mineola: Dover, 2004.
- GOODMAN, J. W. Introduction to Fourier Optics. 3rd ed., Englewood: Roberts & Company, 2005.
- ERSOY, O. K. Diffraction, Fourier Optics and Imaging. Hoboken: Wiley, 2007.
Keywords: Terahertz cameras, Resolution, CCD
E. Perret, M. Hamdi, A. Vena, F. Garet, M. Bernier, L. Duvillaret, S. Tedjini
RF and THz Identification Using a New Generation of Chipless RFID Tags
This article presents two chipless RFID approaches where data are reading using electromagnetic waves and where the medium encoding the data is completely passive. The former approach rests on the use of RF waves (more precisely the ultra-wide band UWB). The tags developed for this application are comparable with very specific, planar, conductive, radar targets where the relation between the tag geometry and its electromagnetic signature is perfectly known and is used to encode the data. The principle of operation as well as the realization process of the RF tags presented in this paper is similar to those already reported in the literature. However, contrary to the majority of chipless RFID tags, these labels do not present an antenna function dissociated from the circuit part where the data are stored. Here, functions such as the receiver, the treatment and the emitter of the signal are closely dependent. The data storage capacity of the RF chipless tags is proportional to of the used frequency bandwidth. As radio spectrum is regulated, the number of possible encoding bits is thus strongly limited with this technology. This is the reason why we introduce a new family of tags radically different from the preceding one, where data is encoded in volume thanks to a multilayer structure operating in the THz domain. These two approaches although different are complementary and allow to increase significantly the data storage capacity of the chipless tags. Simulation and experimental results are reported in this paper for both configurations. We demonstrate a coding capacity of 3.3 bit/cm2 for RFID chipless tags and a potential 10 bits coding capacity in the THz domain.
- WOODLAND, N. J., VENTNOR, N. J., SILVER, B. Classifying apparatus and method. US Patent 2-612-994, Oct. 7, 1952.
- BILGUTAY, I., Bar code font. US Patent 3-832-686, Aug. 27, 1974.
- JALALY, I., ROBERTSON, I. D. RF barcodes using multiple frequency bands. IEEE MTT-S Digest, June 2005, p. 4.
- JALALY, I., ROBERTSON, I. D. Capacitively-tuned split microstrip resonators for RFID barcodes. European Microwave conference. Paris (France), Oct. 2005, vol. 2, p. 4-6.
- PRERADOVIC, S., BALBIN, I., KARMAKAR, N. C., SWIEGERS, G. F. Multiresonator-based chipless RFID system for low-cost item tracking. IEEE Trans on Microwave Theory and Techniques, May 2009, vol. 57, no. 5, p. 1411-1141.
- MUKHERJEE, S. Chipless radio frequency identification by remote measurement of complex impedance. In European Microwave Conference. Munich (Germany), Oct. 2007, p. 1007– 1010.
- ZHENG, L., RODRIGUEZ, S., ZHANG, L., SHAO, B., ZHENG, L-R. Design and implementation of a fully reconfigurable chipless RFID tag using Inkjet printing technology. IEEE Inter. Symp. on Circuits and System (ISCAS 2008). Seattle (USA), 18-21 May 2008, p. 1524 – 1527.
- HARMA, S. PLESSKY, V. P., LI, X., HARTOGH, P. Feasibility of Ultra-Wideband SAW RFID Tags Meeting FCC Rules. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, April 2009, vol. 56, no. 4, p. 812-820.
- SAKODA, K. Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals. Berlin: Springer, 2001.
- YABLONOVITCH, E., GMITTER, T. J., MEADE, R. D., RAPPE, A. M., BROMMER, K. D, JOANNOPOULOS, J. D. Donor and acceptor modes in photonic band structure. Phys. Rev. Lett, 1991, vol. 67, no. 24, p. 3380-3383.
- NEMEC, H., KUZEL, P., GARET, F., DUVILLARET, L. Defect modes caused by twinning in one dimensional photonic crystals. J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 2004, vol. 21, no. 3, p. 548-553.
- DUVILLARET, L., GARET, F., COUTAZ, J.-L. Influence of noise on the characterization of materials by terahertz time-domain spectroscopy. J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 2000, vol. 17, no. 3, p. 452-461.
- NEMEC, H., DUVILLARET, L., QUEUMENEUR, F., KUZEL, P. Time-domain terahertz study of defect formation in onedimensional photonic crystals. Appl. Opt. 2004, vol. 43, p. 1965- 1970.
- XU, S. H., DING., X. M., ZHU, Z. Q. TE and TM defective bands splitting in one-dimensional coupled cavity waveguides. Opt. Com., 2007, vol. 269, no. 2, p. 304-309.
Keywords: Chipless RFID, THz identification, Electromagnetic response, Photonic Band Gap
A. G. Dimitriou, A. Bletsas, A. C. Polycarpou, J. N. Sahalos
Theoretical Findings and Measurements on Planning a UHF RFID System inside a Room
This paper investigates the problem of improving the identification performance of a UHF RFID system inside a room. We assume static reader, passive tags and availability of commodity antennas. A ray-tracing propagation model is developed that includes multipath in 3D space. It is found that careful selection of reader antenna placement and tilting must be performed to control destructive interference effects. Furthermore, 3D coverage performance gains on the order of 10% are observed by implementing tags’ diversity. A device that successfully manipulates destructive interference is introduced. All theoretical findings are verified by measurements. Finally, a method to perform propagation measurements with commodity RFID hardware is demonstrated.
- GRIFFIN, J. D., DURGIN, G. D. Complete link budgets for backscatter-radio and RFID systems. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 2009, vol. 51, no.2, p. 11 - 25.
- LAZARO, A., GIRBAU. D., SALINAS, D. Radio link budgets for UHF RFID on multipath environments. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2009, vol. 57, no. 4, p. 1241 - 1251.
- DOBKIN, D. M. The RF in RFID: Passive UHF RFID in Practice. Burlington (MA, USA): Newnes, 2008.
- GRIFFIN, J. D., DURGIN, G. D. Gains for RF tags using multiple antennas. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2008, vol. 56, no 2, p. 563 - 570.
- MARROCCO, G., DI GIAMPAOLO, E., ALIBERTI, R. Estimation of UHF RFID reading regions in real environments. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 2009, vol. 51, no 6, p. 44 - 57.
- POLYCARPOU, A. C., GREGORIOU, G., BLETSAS, A., DIMITRIOU, A., SAHALOS, J. A UHF radio frequency identification (RFID) system for healthcare: design and implementation. International ICST Conference on Wireless Mobile Communication and Healthcare (2010 MOBIHEALTH). Ayia Napa (Cyprus), 2010.
- SAUNDERS, S. R. Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communication Systems. New York: Wiley, 1999.
- BALANIS, C. A. Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics. Chapter 5.5.2.D, p. 235—236. New York: Wiley, 1989.
- LANDRON, O., FEURSTEIN, M. J., RAPPAPORT, T. S. A comparison of theoretical and empirical reflection coefficients for typical exterior wall surfaces in a mobile radio environment. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 1996, vol. 44, no. 3, p. 341 - 351.
- OESTGES, C., CLERCKX B., RAYNAUD, L., VANHOENACKER- JANVIER, D. Deterministic channel modeling and performance simulation of microcellular wide-band communication systems. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2002, vol. 51, no. 6, p. 1422 - 1430.
- CUTY, J-P., DECLERCQ, M., DEHOLLAIN, C., JOEHL, N. Design and Optimization of Passive UHF RFID Systems. Berlin: Springer, 2007.
- BLETSAS, A., DIMITRIOU, A. G., SAHALOS J. N. Improving backscatter radio tag efficiency. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 2010, vol. 58, no 6, p. 1502 - 1509.
- NIKITIN, P. V., RAO, K. V. S., MARTINEZ, R., LAM, S. F. Sensitivity and impedance measurements of UHF RFID chips. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, 2009, vol. 57, no. 5, part 2, p. 1297 - 1302.
- NXP, UCODE G2XM and UCODE G2XL, data sheet. Eindhoven (The Netherlands).
- Impinj, IPJ-P5002-D2, data sheet. Seattle (USA).
- Allien, Higgs-3, data sheet. Morgan Hill (CA, USA).
- GRIFFIN, J. D., DURGIN, G. D., HALDI, A., KIPPELEN, B. RF tag antenna performance on various materials using radio link budgets. IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, 2006, vol. 5, no. 1, p. 247 - 250.
- Alien, ALN-9662 Squiggle-SH Inlay, data sheet. Morgan Hill (CA, USA).
- INSTOCK Wireless Components Inc. PD1020 - Two-Way Power Divide, 0.7-2.7 GHz, 40 Watts, data sheet. New Jersey (USA).
- MTI Wireless Edge Ltd. MT-242017/NRH, MT-242032/NRH, data sheet. Israel.
- Andrew Corporation, LDF1-50 Coaxial Cable, data sheet. USA.
Keywords: Radio Frequency Identification, Planning, UHF, Tags, Diversity
Z. Lai, G. De La Roche, N. Bessis, P. Kuonen, G. Clapworthy, D. Zhou, J. Zhang
Intelligent Ray Launching Algorithm for Indoor Scenarios
This article describes the indoor IRLA (Intelligent Ray Launching Algorithm), which originates from an efficient outdoor propagation prediction model. Implementation and validation are given in detail. An indoor office scenario is selected and simulations via the IRLA model and two other reference models have been performed. Predictions are analysed and recommendations are given. Results show that the indoor IRLA model is suitable for indoor wireless network planning and optimisation process.
- CORRE, Y., LOSTANLEN, Y. Three-dimensional urban EM wave propagation model for radio network planning and optimization over large areas. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2009, vol. 58, no. 7, p. 3112 - 3123.
- LAI, Z., BESSIS, N., De La ROCHE, G., SONG, H., ZHANG, J., CLAPWORTHY, G. An intelligent ray launching for urban propagation prediction. In The Third European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP 2009. Berlin (Germany), 2009, p. 2867 - 2871.
- HASLETT, C. Essentials of Radio Wave Propagation. Cambridge (UK): Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- MATHAR, R., REYER, M., SCHMEINK, M. A cube oriented ray launching algorithm for 3D urban field strength prediction. In IEEE International Conference on Communications ICC 2007. Glasgow (UK), 2007.
- ITU-R P.1238-6 Propagation Data and Prediction Methods for the Planning of Indoor Radiocommunication Systems and Radio Local Area Networks in the Frequency Range 900 MHz to 100 GHz. Geneva: ITU, 2009.
- SEYBOLD, J. Introduction to RF Propagation. New York: Wiley, 2000.
- WOLFLE, G., WAHL, R., WERTZ, P., WILDBOLZ, P., LANDSTORFER, F. Dominant path prediction model for indoor scenarios. In German Microwave Conference (GeMIC) 2005. Ulm (Germany), 2005, p. 176 - 179.
- WOLFLE, G., GSCHWENDTNER, B., LANDSTORFER, F. Intelligent ray tracing - a new approach for the field strength prediction in microcells. In IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference. Phoenix (AZ, USA), 1997, p. 790 - 794.
- DEGLI-ESPOSTI, V., FUSCHINI, F., VITUCCI, E., FALCIASECCA, G. Speed-up techniques for ray tracing field prediction models. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2009, vol. 57, no. 5, p. 1469 - 1480.
- ZAKHAROV, P., DUDOV, R., MIKHAILOV, E., KOROLEV, A., SUKHORUKOV, A. Finite integration technique capabilities for indoor propagation prediction. In 2009 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference. Loughborough (UK), 2009, p. 369 - 372.
- KLEPAL, M. Novel Approach To Indoor Electromagnetic Wave Propagation Modeling. PhD thesis. Prague: Czech Technical University In Prague, 2003.
- NAGY, L., DADY, R., FARKASVOLGYI, A. Algorithmic complexity of FDTD and ray tracing method for indoor propagation modelling. In The Third European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP 2009. Berlin (Germany), 2009.
- GSCHWENDTNER, B. E.,WOLFLE, G., BURK, B., LANDSTORFER, F. Ray tracing vs. ray launching in 3-d microcell modelling. In First European Personal and Mobile Communications Conference (EPMCC). Bologna (Italy), 1995, p. 74 - 79.
- LAI, Z., BESSIS, N., KUONEN, P., De La ROCHE, G., ZHANG, J., CLAPWORTHY, G. A performance evaluation of a grid-enabled object-oriented parallel outdoor ray launching for wireless network coverage prediction. In The Fifth International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Communications. Cannes/La Bocca (France), 2009, p. 38 - 43.
- LAI, Z., BESSIS, N., De La ROCHE, G., KUONEN, P., ZHANG, J., CLAPWORTHY, G. The development of a parallel ray launching algorithm for wireless network planning. International Journal of Distributed Systems and Technologies, IGI, 2010, vol. 2, no, 2, p. 1 - 2.
- NGUYEN, T., KUONEN, P. Programming the grid with POP-C++. Future Generation Computer Systems, 2007, vol. 23, no. 1, p. 23 - 30.
- LAI, Z., BESSIS, N., De La ROCHE, G., KUONEN, P., ZHANG, J., CLAPWORTHY, G. A new approach to solve angular dispersion of discrete ray launching for urban scenarios. In 2009 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference. Loughborough (UK), 2009, p. 133 - 136.
- LAI, Z., BESSIS, N., De La ROCHE, G., KUONEN, P., ZHANG, J., CLAPWORTHY, G. On the use of an intelligent ray launching for indoor scenarios. In The Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP 2010. Barcelona (Spain), 2010, p. 1 - 5.
- LAI, Z., BESSIS, N., De La ROCHE, G., KUONEN, P., ZHANG, J., CLAPWORTHY, G. The characterisation of human-body influence on indoor 3.5 GHz path loss measurement. In Second International Workshop on Planning and Optimization of Wireless Communication Networks. Sydney (Australia), 2010.
- UMANSKY, D., De La ROCHE, G., LAI, Z., VILLEMAUD, G., GORCE, J., ZHANG, J. A new deterministic hybrid model for indoor-to-outdoor radio coverage prediction. In The Fifth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP 2011. Rome (Italy), 2011, p. 3771 - 3774.
- De La ROCHE, G., GORCE, J., ZHANG, J. Optimized implementation of the 3D MR-FDPF method for indoor radio propagation predictions. In The Third European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP 2009. Berlin (Germany), 2009.
- De La ROCHE, G., FLIPO, P., LAI, Z., VILLEMAUD, G., ZHANG, J., GORCE, J. Combination of geometric and finite difference models for radio wave propagation in outdoor to indoor scenarios. In The Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP 2010. Barcelona (Spain), 2010.
- De La Roche, G., FLIPO, P., LAI, Z., VILLEMAUD, G., ZHANG, J., GORCE, J. Combined model for outdoor to indoor radio propagation. In 10th COST2100 Management Meeting, TD(10)10045. Athens (Greece), 2010.
- LAI, Z. The Development of An Intelligent Ray Launching Algorithm for Wireless Network Planning. PhD thesis. University of Bedfordshire, 2010.
- European Cooperation in the Field of Scientific and Technical Research. Digital Mobile Radio Towards Future Generation Systems, COST231 final report. [Online] Available at: http://www.lx.it.pt/cost231/.
- GORCE, J.-M., JAFFRES-RUNSER, K., ROCHE, G. D. L. Deterministic approach for fast simulations of indoor radio wave propagation. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2007, vol. 55, no. 3, p. 938 - 942.
- VALCARCE, A., ROCHE, G. D. L., NAGY, L., WAGEN, J.-F., GORCE, J.-M. Finite difference methods: A new trend in propagation prediction. IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, Special Issue on Trends in Mobile Radio Channels, 2011.
- ROCHE, G. D. L., JAFFRES-RUNSER, K., GORCE, J.-M. On predicting in-building WiFi coverage with a fast discrete approach. International Journal of Mobile Network Design and Innovation, 2007, vol. 2, no. 1, p. 3 - 12.
- GORCE, J.-M., VILLEMAUD, G., FLIPO, P. On Simulating Propagation for OFDM/MIMO Systems with the MR-FDPF Model. In Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP 2010. Barcelona (Spain), 2010, p. 1 - 5.
- Wiplan Propagation Tool. [Online] INRIA ARES/CITI Laboratory, Lyon (France). Available at: http://wiplan.citi.insa-lyon.fr .
Keywords: Intelligent Ray Launching Algorithm, Radiowave Propagation Prediction, Indoor Scenarios, Path Loss Models, In-Building Network Planning
A. Maltsev, R. Maslennikov, A. Lomayev, A. Sevastyanov, A. Khoryaev
Statistical Channel Model for 60 GHz WLAN Systems in Conference Room Environment
In this work, a methodology of statistical channel modeling for 60 GHz WLAN systems is proposed and a channel model for the office conference room environment is developed. The proposed methodology takes into account the most important properties of the indoor 60 GHz propagation channel such as large propagation loss and necessity to use steerable directional antennas by the WLAN stations, quasi-optical propagation nature, clustering structure of the channel, and significant impact of the polarization characteristics. A general mathematical structure of the channel model that supports all the described 60 GHz propagation channel properties is suggested. Then the conference room scenario for 60 GHz WLAN systems is introduced. Development of the inter cluster, intra cluster, and polarization impact modeling parameters is considered in details first explaining the used methodology for each channel modeling aspect and then followed by its application to the conference room scenario. The raw data for the channel model development include the experimental results ,  and ray-tracing simulations for the conference room scenario. The proposed channel modeling methodology and the developed conference room channel model were adopted by the IEEE 802.11ad committee for 60 GHz WLAN systems standardization.
- MALTSEV, A., MASLENNIKOV, R., SEVASTYANOV, A., KHORYAEV, A., LOMAYEV, A. Experimental investigations of 60 GHz wireless systems in office environment. IEEE J. Selected Areas in Communications, 2009, vol. 27, no. 8, p.1488-1499.
- MALTSEV, A., PERAHIA, E., MASLENNIKOV, R., SEVASTYANOV, A., LOMAYEV, A., KHORYAEV, A. Impact of polarization characteristics on 60 GHz indoor radio communication systems. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2010, vol. 9, p. 413 – 416.
- XU, H., KUKSHYA, V., RAPPAPORT, T. S. Spatial and temporal characteristics of 60 GHz indoor channels. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 2002, vol. 20, no. 3, p. 620– 630.
- MALTSEV, A., et al. Channel models for 60 GHz WLAN systems. IEEE Document 802.11-09/0334r8, May 2010. Available at: https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/09/11-09-0334-08-00adchannel- models-for-60-ghz-wlan-systems.doc.
- SALEH, A., VALENZUELA, R., A statistical model for indoor multipath propagation. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 1987, vol. 5, no. 2, p. 128-137.
- PERAHIA, E., TGad Evaluation Methodology. IEEE Document 802.11-09/0296r16, January 2010. Available at: https://mentor. ieee.org/802.11/documents?is_dcn=296&is_group=00ad.
- JACOB, M., et al. Modeling the dynamical human blockage for 60 GHz WLAN channel models. IEEE Document 802.11-10/0090r0, January 2010. Available at: https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/ documents?is_dcn=90&is_group=00ad.
- JACOB, M. et al. A Ray tracing based stochastic human blockage model for the IEEE 802.11ad 60 GHz channel model. In Proceedings of European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2011, 5p.
- JACKSON, J. D. Classical Electrodynamics. 3rd ed.), New York: Wiley, 1998.
- MALTSEV, A., et al. Polarization model for 60 GHz. IEEE Document. 802.11-09/0431r0, April 2009.Available at: https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/documents?is_dcn=431&is_group= 00ad.
- MALTSEV, A., et al. Verification of polarization impact model by experimental data. IEEE Document 802.11-09/1011r0, September 2009. Available at: https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/documents? is_dcn=1011&is_group=00ad.
- SATO, K., et al. Measurements of reflection and transmission characteristics of interior structures of office building in the 60 GHz band. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 1997, vol. 45, no. 12., p. 1783-1792.
- DAVYDOV, A., et al., Saleh-Valenzuela channel model parameters for library environment. IEEE Document 802.15-06- 0302-02-003c., July 2006. Available at: https://mentor.ieee.org/ 802.15/documents?is_dcn=302&is_group=003c.
- SAWADA, H., et al. Intra-cluster response model and parameter for channel modelling at 60 GHz (Part 3). IEEE Document 802.11- 10/0112r3, January 2010. Available at: https://mentor.ieee.org/ 802.11/documents?is_dcn=112&is_group=00ad.
Keywords: Statistical channel model, 60 GHz WLAN, IEEE 802.11ad
New chopper modulators using differential voltage current conveyor
This paper presents new chopper modulators which can enable to assign three modulators in one circuit. Full amplitude modulators as Cowan and Ring modulators are kinds of the amplitude modulators as well. The proposed circuit is implemented from the differential voltage current conveyor, four-MOS transistors switch and two-MOS transistors inverter. The advantage of this proposed circuit is high input and low output impedance and is able to be connected with any load without buffer and the number of transistors is quite less which is suitable for integrated circuits. The technique is to control the switch by using the square pulse which is obtained from a direct signal generator. All simulation results are based on the PSPICE program simulator which confirms the performance of the proposed circuit and technique.
- SMITH, K., SEDRA, A. The current-conveyor - a new circuit building block. IEEE Proceeding, 1968, vol. 56, p. 1368–1369.
- SEDRA, A., SMITH, K. A second-generation current-conveyor and its applications. IEEE Transactions on Circuit Theory, 1970, vol. CT-17, p. 132–134.
- FABRE, A., SAAID, O., WIEST, F., BOUCHERON, C. Current controlled bandpass filter based on translinear conveyors. Electronics Letters, 1995, vol. 31, p. 1727–1728.
- PAL, K. Modified current conveyors and their application. Microelectronic Journal, 1986, vol. 20, p. 37–40.
- ELWAN, H. O., SOLIMAN, A. M. Novel CMOS differential voltage current conveyor and its applications. IEE Proceeding of Circuits Devices and System, 1997, vol. 144, p. 195–200.
- PEARSON, J. E. Basic Communication Theory. UK: Prentice Hall, 1992.
- MONPAPASSORN, A. Chopper modulators using current conveyor analogue switches. Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, 2005, vol. 45, p. 155–162.
- KUMNGERN, M., DEJHAN, K. DDCC-based quadrature oscillator with grounded capacitors and resistors. Active and Passive Electronic Components, 2009, doi: 10.115/2009/987304.
Keywords: chopper modulator, differential voltage current conveyor, Cowan modulator, ring modulator, AM modulator
J. Koton, A. Lahiri, N. Herencsar, K. Vrba
Current-Mode Dual-Phase Precision Full-Wave Rectifier Using Current-Mode Two-Cell Winner-Takes-All (WTA) Circuit
In addition to the recently proposed full-wave rectifier by Prommee et al. using voltage-mode (VM)two-cell winner-takes-all (WTA) circuit, we present current-mode (CM) precision full-wave rectifier using CM two-cell WTA circuit. The popular Lazzaro’s CM WTA circuit has been employed for the purpose and there is no requirement of inverting the input signal. Also, dual complimentary phases of the output current signal are available from high-output impedance terminals for explicit utilization. As compared to many recently proposed CM rectifiers using complex active devices, e.g. dual-X current conveyor or universal voltage conveyor, our circuit is very compact and requires a total of 21 transistors. SPICE simulation results of the circuit implemented using 0.35 um TSMC CMOS technology are provided which verify the workability of the proposed circuit.
- TIETZE, U., SCHENK, CH., GRAMM, E. Electronic Circuits- Handbook for Design and Application. Berlin: Springer, 2008.
- TOUMAZOU, C., LIDGEY, F. J. Fast current-mode precision rectifier. Electron. Wireless World, 1987, vol. 93, no. 1621, p. 1115 - 1118.
- GIFT, S. J. G., MAUNDY, B. Versatile precision full-wave rectifiers for instrumentation and measurements. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 2007, vol. 56, no. 5, p. 1703 - 1710.
- TOUMAZOU, C., LIDGEY, F. J., CHATTONG, S. High frequency current conveyor precision full-wave rectifier. Electronics Letters, 1994, vol. 30, no. 10, p. 745 - 746.
- STIURICA, D. Truly temperature independent current conveyor precision rectifier. Electronics Letters, 1995, vol. 31, no. 16, p. 1302 - 1303.
- YUCE, E., MINAEI, S., CICEKOGLU, O. Full-wave rectifier realization using only two CCII+s and NMOS transistors. International Journal of Electronics, 2006, vol. 93, no. 8, p. 533 - 541.
- MINAEI, S., YUCE, E. A New full-wave rectifier circuit employing single dual-X current conveyor. International Journal of Electronics, 2008, vol. 95, no. 8, p. 777 - 784.
- KOTON, J., HERENCSAR, N., VRBA, K. Minimal configuration versatile precision full-wave rectifier using current conveyors. In Proceedings of the European Conference on Circuits Technology and Devices ECCTD’10. Tenerife (Spain), 2010, p. 111 - 114.
- SILAPAN, P., JAIKLA, W., SIRIPRUCHYANUN, M. A Highperformance current-mode precision full-wave rectifier based on BiCMOS-CCCDBAs. In Proceedings IEEE APCCAS 2009. 2009, p. 1486 - 1489.
- VANCHAI, R., ROJANAKORN, G. A low-voltage wide-band CMOS precision full-wave rectifier, International Journal of Electronics, 2002, vol. 89, no. 6, p. 467 - 476.
- JONGKUNSTIDCHAI, C., FONGSAMUT, C., KUMWACHARA, K., SURAKAMPONTORN, W. Full-wave rectifiers based on operational transconductance amplifiers. AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 2007, vol. 61, no. 3, p. 195 - 201.
- CHANAPROMMA, C., DAODEN, K. A CMOS fully differential operational transconductance amplifier operating in sub-threshold region and its application. In Proceedings of IEEE 2nd International Conference Signal Processing Systems - ICSPS 2010. Dalian (China), 2010, p. V2-73 - V2-77.
- BIOLEK, D., HANCIOGLU, E., KESKIN A. U. High-performance current differencing transconductance amplifier and its application in precision current-mode rectification. AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 2008, vol. 62, no. 2, p. 92 - 96.
- KHATEB, F., VAVRA, J., BIOLEK, D. Current-mode full-wave rectifier based on one CDTA and two diodes. Radioengineering, 2010, vol. 19, no. 3, p. 437 - 445.
- KOTON, J., HERENCSAR, N., VRBA, K. Minimal configuration precision full-wave rectifier using current and voltage conveyors. IEICE Electronics Express, 2010, vol. 7, no. 12, p. 844 - 849.
- BOONCHU, B., SURAKAMPONTORN, W. A CMOS currentmode squarer/rectifier circuit. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Circuits and Systems 2003. Bangkok (Thailand), 2003, p. I-405 - I-408.
- SURACHET, K., VARAKORN, K. A high performance CMOS current-mode precision full-wave rectifier (PFWR). In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Circuits and Systems - ISCAS 2003. Bangkok (Thailand), 2003, p. I-41 - I-44.
- KUMGERN, M., DEJHAN, K. High frequency, high precision CMOS half-wave rectifier. In Proceedings of ECTI International Conference. Chiang Rai (Thailand), 2007, vol. 1, p. 1-4.
- KUMGERN, M., KNOBNOB, B., DEJHAN, K. High frequency and high precision CMOS half-wave rectifier. Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing, 2010, vol. 29, no. 5, p. 815 - 836.
- KOMPAPASSORN, A., DEJHAN, K., CHEEVASUVIT, F. A fullwave rectifier using a current conveyor and current mirrors. International Journal of Electronics, 2001, vol. 88, no. 7, p. 751 - 758.
- MINAEI, S.YUCE, E. New squarer circuits and a current-mode fullwave rectifier topology suitable for integration. Radioengineering, 2010, vol. 19, no. 4, p. 657 - 661.
- OPRIS, I. E. Analog Rank Extractors and Sorting Networks. Ph.D. Dissertation. Stanford (UK): Stanford University, 1996.
- MADRENAS, J., FERNANDEZ, D., COSP, J., ALVARADO, L. M., ALARCON, E., VIDAL, E., VILLAR, G. Self-controlled 4- transistor low-power min–max current selector. AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 2009, vol. 63, no. 4, p. 871 - 876.
- DESAI, D. R., CARLETTA, J., VEILLETTE, R., HASSAN, F. Design of an accurate min-max current selector. In IEEE 53rd International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWCAS). Seattle (WA, USA), 2010, p. 562 - 565.
- PROMMEE, P., CHATTRAKUN, K. Voltage-mode CMOS WTA maximum circuits and its applications. Microelectronics Journal, 2011, vol. 42, no. 1, p. 52 - 62.
- LAZZARO, J., LYCKENBUSH, S., MALHOWAD, M. A., MEAD, C. Winner-take-all of o(n) complexity. Advances in Neural Signal Processing Systems. San Francisco (CA, USA): Morgan Kaufmann, 1989, p. 703-711.
- SEDRA, A. SMITH, K. C. A second-generation current conveyor and its application. IEEE Transactions on Circuit Theory, 1970, vol. 17, p. 132 - 134.
- KOTON, J., USHAKOV, P. A., VRBA, K. Voltage-mode multifunction frequency filter using DDCCs with mutually independent Q and w0 control feature. In Proceedings International Conference on Teleinformatics 2011, Brno (Czech Republic), 2011, p. 183-187.
- BIOLEK, D., BIOLKOVA, V., KOLKA, Z. AC analysis of operational rectifiers via conventional circuit simulators. WSEAS Transactions on Circuits and Systems, 2004, vol. 3, no. 10, p. 2291 - 2295.
Keywords: Analog signal processing, current-mode, precision full-wave rectifier, instrumentation, measurement, WTA circuit.
B. Metin, N. Herencsar, K. Pal
Supplementary First-Order All-Pass Filters with Two Grounded Passive Elements Using FDCCII
In this study, two novel first-order all-pass filters are proposed using only one grounded resistor and one grounded capacitor along with a fully differential current conveyor (FDCCII). There is no element-matching restriction. The presented all-pass filter circuits can be made electronically tunable due to the electronic resistors. Furthermore, the presented circuits enjoy high-input impedance for easy cascadability. The theoretical results are verified with SPICE simulations.
- BIOLEK, D., SENANI, R., BIOLKOVA, V., KOLKA, Z. Active elements for analog signal processing: classification, review, and new proposals. Radioengineering, 2008, vol. 17, no. 4, p. 15 - 32.
- KHAN, A., MAHESHWARI, S. Simple first order all-pass section using a single CCII. International Journal of Electronics, 2000, vol. 87, no. 3, p. 303 - 306.
- CAM, U., CICEKOGLU, O., GULSOY, M., KUNTMAN, H. New voltage and current mode first-order all-pass filters using single FTFN. Frequenz, 2000, vol. 54, no. 7-8, p. 177 - 179.
- TOKER, A., OZCAN, S., KUNTMAN, H., CICEKOGLU, O. Supplementary all-pass sections with reduced number of passive elements using a single current conveyor. International Journal of Electronics, 2001, vol. 88, no. 9, p. 969 - 976.
- PANDEY, N., PAUL, S. K. All-pass filters based on CCII- and CCCII-. International Journal of Electronics, 2004, vol. 91, no. 8, p. 485 - 489.
- METIN, B., CICEKOGLU, O. Component reduced all-pass filter with a grounded capacitor and high impedance input. International Journal of Electronics, 2009, vol. 96, no. 5, p. 445 - 455.
- HIGASHIMURA, M., FUKUI, Y. Realization of all-pass networks using a current conveyor. International Journal of Electronics, 1988, vol. 65, no. 2, p. 249 - 250.
- BIOLEK, D., BIOLKOVA, V. All-pass filters employing differential OpAmps. Electronics World, 2010, vol. 116, no. 1891, p. 44 - 45.
- METIN, B., PAL, K. Cascadable allpass filter with a single DO-CCII and a grounded capacitor. Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, 2009, vol. 61, no. 3, p. 259 - 263.
- HERENCSAR, N., KOTON, J., JERABEK, J., VRBA, K., CICEKOGLU, O. Voltage-mode all-pass filters using universal voltage conveyor and MOSFET-based electronic resistors. Radioengineering, 2011, vol. 20, no. 1, p. 10 - 18.
- KESKIN, A. U., AYDIN, C., HANCIOLU, E., ACAR, C. Quadrature oscillator using current differencing buffered amplifiers (CDBA). Frequenz, 2006, vol. 60, no. 3-4, p. 21 - 23.
- KUMAR, P., KESKIN, A. U., PAL, K. Wide-band resistorless allpass sections with single element tuning. International Journal of Electronics, 2007, vol. 94, no. 6, p. 597 - 604.
- KESKIN, A. U., PAL, K., HANCIOGLU, E. Resistorless first order all-pass filter with electronic tuning. International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), 2008, vol. 62, no. 4, p. 304 - 306.
- HORNG, J. W. Current conveyors based allpass filters and quadrature oscillators employing grounded capacitors and resistors. Computers and Electrical Engineering, 2005, vol. 31, no. 1, p. 81 - 92.
- MAHESHWARI, S. High input impedance VM-APSs with grounded passive elements. IET Circuits Devices & Systems, 2007, vol. 1, no. 1, p. 72 - 78.
- MAHESHWARI, S. High input impedance voltage-mode first-order all-pass sections. International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, 2008, vol. 36, no. 4, p. 511 - 512.
- YUCE, E., MINAEI, S. Novel voltage-mode all-pass filter based on using DVCCs. Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing, 2010, vol. 29, no. 3, p. 391 - 402.
- BIOLEK, D., BIOLKOVA, V. First-order voltage-mode all-pass filter employing one active element and one grounded capacitor. Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, 2010, vol. 65, no. 1, p. 123 - 129.
- MAHESHWARI, S., MOHAN, J., CHAUHAN, D. S. Voltage-mode cascadable all-pass sections with two grounded passive components and one active element. IET Circuits Devices&Systems, 2010, vol. 4, no. 2, p. 113 - 122.
- WANG, Z. 2-MOSFET transistors with extremely low distortion for output reaching supply voltage. Electronics Letters, 1990, vol. 26, no. 13, p. 951 - 952.
- CHIU, W., LIU, S. I., TSAO, H. W., CHEN, J. J. CMOS differential difference current conveyors and their applications. IEE Proceedings - Circuits, Devices and Systems, 1996, vol. 143, no. 2, p. 91 - 96.
- ELWAN, H. O., SOLIMAN, A. M. Novel CMOS differential voltage current conveyor and its applications. IEE Proceedings - Circuits, Devices and Systems, 1997, vol. 144, no. 3, p. 195 - 200.
- EL-ADAWAY, A. A., SOLIMAN, A. M., ELWAN, H. O. A novel fully differential current conveyor and applications for analog VLSI. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems Part II, 2000, vol. 47, no. 4, p. 306 - 313.
- COMER, D. J., MCDERMID, J. E. Inductorless bandpass characteristics using all-pass networks. IEEE Transactions on Circuits Theory, 1968, vol. 15, no. 4, p. 501 - 503.
- TARMY, R., GHAUSI, M. S. Very high-Q insensitive active RC networks. IEEE Transactions on Circuits Theory, 1970, vol. 17, no. 3, p. 358 - 366.
- MOSCHYTZ, G. S. High-Q factor insensitive active RC network, similar to the Tarmy-Ghausi circuit but using single-ended operational amplifiers. Electronic Letters, 1972, vol. 8, no. 18, p. 458 - 459.
- COMER, D. J. High-frequency narrow-band active filters. IEEE Transactions on Circuits Theory, 1986, vol. 33, no. 8, p. 838 - 840.
- METIN, B., CICEKOGLU, O. Tarmy-Ghausi (TG) circuit suitable for higher frequency of operation. Frequenz, 2003, vol. 57, no. 7-8, p. 168 - 171.
Keywords: Analog filter, all-pass filter, cascadable filter, high-Q band-pass filter, grounded capacitor, FDCCII, MOSFET based resistors
J. Petrzela, Z.Hrubos, T. Gotthans
Modeling Deterministic Chaos Using Electronic Circuits
This paper brings a note on systematic circuit synthesis methods for modeling the dynamical systems given by mathematical model. Both classical synthesis and integrator based method is demonstrated via the relatively complicated real physical systems with possible chaotic solution. A variety of the different active building blocks are utilized to make the final circuits as simple as possible while preserving easily measurable voltage-mode state variables. Brief experimental verification, i.e. oscilloscope screenshots, is presented. The observed attractors have some structural stability and good relationship to their numerically integrated counterparts.
- LI, Z., SOH, J., WEN, CH. Switched and Impulsive Systems. Berlin: Springer, 2005.
- GALAJDA, P., KOCUR, D. Chua´s circuit in spread spectrum communication systems. Radioengineering, 2002, vol. 11, no. 2, p. 6 – 10.
- ADDABBO, T., FORT, A., ROCCHI, S., VIGNOLI, V. Intelligent Computing Based on Chaos. Berlin: Springer, 2009.
- GRYGIEL, K., SZLACHETKA, P. Lyapunov exponents analysis of autonomous and nonautonomous set of ordinary differential equations. Acta Physica Polonica B, 1995, vol. 26, no. 8, p. 1321 to 1331.
- PETRZELA, J. Modeling of the Strange Behavior in the Selected Nonlinear Dynamical Systems, Part II: Analysis. Brno: Vutium Press, 2010.
- CHEN, G., UETA, T. Chaos in Circuits and Systems. London: World Scientific, 2002.
- PETRZELA, J., HANUS, S., KOLKA, Z. Simple chaotic oscillator: from mathematical model to practical experiment. Radioengineering, 2006, vol. 15, no. 1, p. 6 – 11.
- SPROTT, J. C. Chaos and Time-Series Analysis. Oxford University Press, 2003.
- CAMINITI, R., GHAZIRI, H., GALUSKE, R., HOF, P. R., INNOCENTI, G. M. Evolution amplified processing with temporally dispersed slow neuronal connectivity in primates. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2009, vol. 106, no. 46, p. 19551 – 19556.
- WYK, M. A., STEEB, W. H. Chaos in Electronics. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.
- ITOH, M. Synthesis of electronic circuits for simulating nonlinear dynamics. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 2001, vol. 11, no. 3, p. 605 – 653.
- CAJKA, J., DOSTAL, T., VRBA, K. General view on current conveyors. International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, 2004, vol. 32, no. 3, p. 133 – 138.
- Current Mode Multiplier EL2082 Datasheet, Elantec, 1996.
- PETRZELA, J., SLEZAK, J. Conservative chaos generators with CCII+ based on the mathematical model of nonlinear oscillator. Radioengineering, 2008, vol. 17, no. 3, p. 19 – 24.
- LU, J., YU, S., LEUNG, H., CHEN, G. Experimental verification of multidirectional multi-scroll chaotic attractors. IEEE Transaction on Circuit and Systems I, 2006, vol. 53, no. 1, p. 149 – 165.
- High Speed Monolithic Operational Amplifier AD844 Datasheet, Analog Devices, 2003.
- PETRZELA, J. Integrator-based synthesis of the selected chaotic oscillators. Slaboproudy obzor, 2009, vol. 4, no. 3, p. 9 – 12 (in Czech).
- Low Cost Analog Multiplier AD633 Datasheet, Analog Devices, 2002.
- SPROTT, J. C. Simple chaotic systems and circuits. American Journal Physics, 2000, vol. 68, no. 8, p. 758 – 763.
- PETRZELA, J. Modeling of the Strange Behavior in the Selected Nonlinear Dynamical Systems, Part I: Oscillators. Brno: Vutium Press, 2008.
- SPANY, V., GALAJDA, P., GUZAN, M., PIVKA, L., OLEJAR, M. Chua´s singularities: great miracle in circuit theory. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 2010, vol. 20, no. 10, p. 2993 – 3006.
Keywords: Autonomous system, state attractor, chaos, analog oscillator, dynamical motion
K. Zaplatilek, J. Leuchter
Photovoltaic Panel Modeling in MATLAB® Environment
This article is focused on the original photovoltaic panel model identification method. The method is based on the measured characteristics for given irradiation. The system can automatically create a mathematical model for a particular panel, and a specific temperature. Attention is paid to the approximation error progress, which is at minimum in the Maximum Power Points (MPP). During the application of well-known Shockley’s equation to the entire panel the nonlinear and parametric power losses are corrected. This approach provides an accurate approximation with good agreement with measured data. The method can be applied to any measured photovoltaic panel. The model identification procedure and its use are demonstrated on the example of a particular panel. A detailed methodology for application is presented for users of the MATLAB environment.
- LEUCHTER, J., BAUER, P., RERUCHA, V., BOJDA, P. Dc-Dc converters with FPGA control for photovoltaic system. In 13th Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (EPE-PEMC 2008). Poznan (Poland), 2008, p. 422 - 427. ISBN 978-1-4244- 1741-4.
- YUVARAJAN, S., SHOEB, J. A Fast and accurate maximum power point tracker for PV systems. In Proceedings of the 23th Applied Power Electronics Conf. and Exposition (APEC 2008). Austin (USA), 2008, p. 167 - 172. ISBN 978-1-4244-1873-2.
- YANGJING, O., CHENGHUA, W., FENG, H. A Variable step maximum power point tracking method using Taylor mean value theorem. In Proceedings of the Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC 2010). Chengdu (China), 2010, p. 1-4. ISBN 978-1-4244-4812-8.
- SERA, D., TEODORESCU, R., HANTSCHEL, J., KNOLL, M. Optimized maximum power point tracker for fast changing environmental conditions. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE 2008). Cambridge (UK), 2008, p. 2401 – 2407. ISBN 978-1-4244-1665-3.
- PATEL, H., AGARWAL, V. Maximum power point tracking scheme for PV systems operating under partially shaded conditions. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2008, vol. 55, no. 4, p. 1689-1698. ISSN: 0278-0046.
- WU, L., ZHAO, Z., ZHENGMING, L., JIANZHENG, L., SHU, Y. L. Modified MPPT strategy applied in single-stage gridconnected photovoltaic system. In 9th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS 2005). Nanjing (China), 2005, p. 1027 - 1030. ISBN 7-5062-7407-8.
- PATEL, H., AGARWAL, V. MPPT scheme for a PV-fed singlephase single-stage grid-connected inverter operating in CCM with only one current sensor. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 2009, vol. 24, no. 1, p. 256 - 263. ISSN 0885-8969.
- FEMIA, N., PETRONE, G., SPAGNUOLO, G., VITELLI, M. Optimization of perturb and observe maximum power point tracking methods. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2005, vol. 20, no. 4, p. 963 - 973. ISSN 0885-8993.
- CHIAN-SONG, Ch. T-S Fuzzy maximum power point tracking control of photovoltaic power generation systems. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 2010, vol. 25, no. 4, p. 1123 - 1132. ISSN 0885-8969.
- LEUCHTER, J. BAUER, P. FINNEY, S. J. Modeling and experimental verification of EGS to achieve higher efficiency. In 35th Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics (IECON 2009). Porto (Portugal), 2009, p. 3983 - 3986. ISBN 978-1-4244- 4648-3.
- PETER, P. K., AGARWAL, V. Switched capacitor dc-dc converter based maximum power point tracking of a PV source for nano satellite application. In Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC 2010). Hononulu (USA), 2010, p. 2604 - 2609. ISBN 978- 1-4244-5890-5.
- BRUNTON, S. L., ROWLEY, C. W., KULKARNI, S. R., CLARKSON, C. Maximum power point tracking for photovoltaic optimization using extremum seeking. In Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC 2009). Philadelphia (USA), 2009, p. 13-16. ISBN 978-1-4244-2949-3.
- MEHRNAMI, S., FARHANGI, S. A fast maximum power point tracking technique for PV powered systems. In 35th Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics (IECON 2009). Porto (Portugal), 2009, p. 42 - 46. ISBN 978-1-4244-4648-3.
- WEIDONG, X., DUNFORD, W. G., CAPEL, A. A novel modeling method for photovoltaic cells. In 35th Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC 2004). Aachen (Germany), 2004, p. 1950 - 1956. ISBN 0-7803-8399-0.
- LEUCHTER, J., RERUCHA, V., ZOBAA, A. F. Mathematical modeling of photovoltaic systems. In 14th Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (EPE-PEMC 2010). Ohrid (Macedonia), 2010, p. 422 - 427. ISBN 978-1-4244-7856-.
- MATHEWS, J. H., FINK, K. K. Numerical Methods Using MATLAB. Prentice-Hall Inc, 2004.
- BANNERT, P. Mathematic Model of Photovoltaic Cell (final report). 20 pages. [Online] Cited 2011-04-12. Available at: http://www.vosvdf.cz/cmsb/userdata/487/FVS_002_cviceni/002_ mat_model_fvc.pdf (in Czech).
Keywords: Photovoltaic panel, identification, modeling, MATLAB
B. Psenicka, J. Hospodka
Analysis and Synthesis of the Digital Structures by the Matrix Method
This paper presents a general matrix algorithm for analysis of digital filters. The method proposed in this paper allows not only the analysis of the digital filters, but also the construction of new structures of the canonic or non-canonic digital filter. Equivalent filters of different structures can be found according to various matrix expansions. The structures can be calculated even from transfer function or from state-space matrices and with the additional advantage of requiring minimum number of shifting elements. Traditional research methods are not able to construct the system with a minimum of the shifting operations.
- KLEIN,W. Finite Systemtheorie. ZAMM - Jorunal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 1979, vol. 59, no. 2, p. 136.
- LUECKER, R. Matrixbeschreibung und Analyse zeit discreter Systeme. Forschungsbericht Nr. 81. Informationsbibliothek Hannover: RN 2251. 1976.
- HEINZ, K. W. Analyse und Synthese zeitdiscreter Netzwerke mit vatiierbarer Uebertraugungsfunktion und einfach realisierbaren Multiplizierkoeffizienten. Dissertation thesis. Darmstat, 1981.
- SANJIT K. MITRA. Digital Signal Processing, A Computer Based Approach. New York: MCGraw-Hill, 1998, p. 212 - 213.
- PSENICKA, B., PEREZ MEANA, H., BUSTAMANTE BELLO, R. Design and analysis of an N order state-space structure by matrix method. Revista Cient´ıfica, 2000, vol. 24, p. 7-11.
- VICH, R., SMEKAL, Z. Cıslicove Filtry. (in Czech). Prague: Ceska Matice Technicka, 2000, p. 119 - 126.
- FETTWEIS, A., MEERKOTTER, K. On adapters for wave digital filters IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 1975, vol. ASSP-23, no. 6, p. 516 - 525.
- DAVIDEK, V., LAIPERT, M., VLCEK, M. Analogove a cıslicove filtry. (in Czech). Prague: Czech Technical University, 2004.
- PSENICKA, B., HERRERA, G. Synthesis of digital filters by matrix method. Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Signal and Image Processing. New Orleans (USA), 1997, p. 409 - 412.
- PSENICKA, B., GARCIA-UGALDE, F. Design of state digital filters without multipliers. Proceedings of the International Conference on Signal Processing Applications and Technology. 1999.
- PSENICKA, B., UGALDE, F. G., SAVAGE J. Design of state digital filters. IEEE Transaction on Signal Processing, 1998, vol. 46, no. 9, p. 2544 - 2549.
Keywords: Digital filter design, matrix method, analysis, filter synthesis.
J. Kracek, M. Mazanek
Wireless Power Transmission for Power Supply: State of Art
The wireless power supply is motivated by simple and comfortable use of many small electric appliances with low power input. This paper reviews the concepts which are suitable for wireless power transmission with respect to power supply of such appliances in small areas. The categorization of the concepts is made. The efficiency of the concepts is discussed on general base. The reference levels for exposure to electric and magnetic fields are mentioned, and maximal power delivered to an appliance by fulfillment of these levels is considered.
- HUI, S. Y. R., HO, W. W. C. A new generation of universal contactless battery charging platform for portable consumer electronic equipment. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 2005, vol. 20, no. 3, p. 620-627. Doi: 10.1109/TPEL.2005.846550.
- SHINODA, H., MAKINO, Y., YAMAHIRA, N., ITAI, H. Surface sensor network using inductive signal transmission layer. In Proceedings of the 4th International Conf. on Networked Sensing Systems, 2007, p. 201-206. Doi: 10.1109/INSS.2007.4297420.
- KURS, A., KARALIS, A., MOFFATT, R., JOANNOPOULOS, J. D., FISHER, P., SOLJACIC, M. Wireless power transfer via strongly coupled magnetic resonances. Science, 2007, vol. 317, p. 83-86. Doi: 10.1126/SCIENCE.1143254.
- SCHEIBLE, G., SCHUTZ, J., APNESETH, C. Novel wireless power supply system for wireless communication devices in industrial automation systems. In Proceedings of the IEEE 2002 28th Annual Conference of the Industrial Electronics Society, 2002, vol. 2, p. 1358-1363. Doi: 10.1109/IECON.2002.1185473.
- ZHI WEI SIM, SHUTTLEWORTH, R., GRIEVE, B. Investigation of PCB microstrip patch receiving antenna for outdoor RF energy harvesting in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 2009, p. 129-132. Doi: 10.1109/LAPC.2009.5352525.
- MCSPADDEN, J. O., FAN, L., CHANG, K. Design and experiments of a high-conversion-efficiency 5.8-GHz rectenna. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 1998, vol. 46, no. 12, p. 2053-2060. Doi: 10.1109/22.739282.
- STRASSNER, B., CHANG, K. 5.8 GHz circular polarized rectifying antenna for microwave power transmission. In Proc. of the 2001 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symp., 2001, vol. 3, p. 1859-1862. Doi: 10.1109/MWSYM.2001.967270.
- KRAUS, J. D. Antennas. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- WAFFENSCHMIDT, E., STARING, T. Limitation of inductive power transfer for consumer applications. In Proceedings of the 13th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, 2009. Barcelona (Spain), September 2009, p. 1-10.
- INTERNATIONAL COMMISSION ON NON-IONIZING RADIATION PROTECTION. Guidelines for limiting exposure to time-varying electric, magnetic, and electromagnetic fields (up to 300 GHz). 29 pages. [Online] Cited 2010-05-08. Available at: http://www.icnirp.de/documents/emfgdl.pdf.
- STRATTON, J. A. Electromagnetic Theory. New York: McGraw- Hill, 1941.
Keywords: wireless power transmission, wireless power supply
J. R. Panda, A. S. R. Saladi, R. S. Kshetrimayum
A Compact Printed Monopole Antenna for Dual-band RFID and WLAN Applications
Design of a simple and compact microstrip-fed printed monopole antenna (PMA) for applications in wireless local area network (WLAN) and radio frequency identification (RFID) is presented. The dual-band operation is achieved from the 9-shaped folded antenna which is printed on a non-conductor backed dielectric. Measured percentage impedance bandwidth of the PMA at the center frequencies of 2.43 GHz and 5.24 GHz are 33.13 (2.14 GHz to 2.99 GHz) and 36.43 (4.40 GHz to 6.36 GHz) respectively. Consistent omnidirectional radiation patterns have been observed in both the frequency bands from the experimental results. The proposed antenna is simple in design and compact in size. It exhibits broadband impedance matching, consistent omnidirectional radiation patterns and appropriate gain characteristics (>2.5 dBi) in the RFID and WLAN frequency regions.
- CHEN, H. D., CHEN, H. T. A CPW-fed dual-frequency monopole antenna. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., 2004, vol. 52, no. 4, p. 978-982.
- CHENG, C. H., LV, W. J., CHEN, Y., ZHU, H. B. A dual-band strip-sleeve monopole antenna fed by CPW. Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., 2004, vol. 42, no.1, p. 70-73.
- LIU, W. C., HUANG, C. C. A CPW-fed L-shaped slot planar monopole antenna for triple-band operations. Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., 2005, vol. 44, no. 6, p. 510-512.
- SHEN, C. A., LIN, K. H. A broadband internal planar monopole antenna for mobile phone. Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., 2006, vol. 48, no. 4, p. 768-769.
- SUMA, M. N., RAJ, R. K., JOSEPH, M., BYBI, P. C., MOHANAN, P. Compact dual band planar branched monopole antenna for DCS/2.4- GHz WLAN applications. IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., 2006, vol. 16, no. 5, p. 275-277.
- CHEN, S. Y., HSU, P. CPW-fed folded-slot antenna for 5.8 GHz RFID tags. Electron. Lett., 2004, vol. 40, no. 24, p. 1516-1517.
- LIU, W. C., HU, P. K. Broadband CPW-fed folded-slot monopole antenna for RFID application. Electron. Lett., 2005, vol. 41, no. 17, pp. 937-939.
- LIU, W. C., WU, C. M. CPW-fed shorted F-shaped monopole antenna for 5.8-GHz RFID applications. Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., 2006, vol. 48, no. 3, p. 573-575.
- LIU, W. C., KAO, P. C. Compact CPW-fed dual folded-strip monopole antenna for 5.8-GHz RFID application. Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett , 2006, vol. 48, no. 8, p. 1614-1615.
- MA, D., ZHANG, W. X. Broadband CPW-fed RFID antenna at 5.8 GHz. Electron. Lett., 2006, vol. 42, no. 22, p. 1258-1259.
- LIU, W. C. A coplanar waveguide-fed folded-slot monopole antenna for 5.8 GHz radio frequency identification application. Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett , 2007, vol. 49, no. 1, p. 71-74.
- AMMANN, J. C., FARRELL, R. Dual-band monopole antenna with stagger-tuned arms for broadbanding. In IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials (IWAT-2005). 2005, p. 278-281.
- IE3D version 10.2, Zeland Corp., Freemont, CA, USA.
- KUMAR, G., RAY, K. P. Broadband Microstrip Antennas. Artech House 2003, p. 362-363.
Keywords: 9-shape monopole antenna, RFID, WLAN.
Ke Lu, Guang-Ming Wang, He-Xiu Xu
Compact and Sharp-Rejection Bandstop Filter Using Uniplanar Double Spiral Resonant Cells
A novel compact bandstop filter composed of three cascaded uniplanar double spiral resonant cells (UDSRCs) for high attenuation rates is presented. Through the equivalent circuit prediction and parametric analysis, it is found that the UDSRC exhibits two controllable transmission zeros with great design flexibility through tuning the geometry parameters in a small range. Then, the influence of the stage separation between each UDSRC is investigated in order to get the appropriate stage separation. After optimization, a demonstration bandstop filter has been fabricated and measured. The results show that the attenuation rates on the lower and upper sides are 95dB/GHz and 155dB/GHz, respectively. Without any shunt stubs introduced, the length and width of the three cells are 28% and 4% of the guided wavelength at the mid-stopband frequency.
- DUK-JAE, W., TAEK-KYUNG, L., JAE-WOOK, L., CHEOLSIG, P., WON-KYU, C. Novel U-slot and V-slot DGSs for bandstop filter with improved Q factor. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, June, 2006, vol. 54, no. 6, p. 2840 – 2847.
- IAO-HUA, W., BING-ZHONG, W., HUA-LIANG, Z., KEVIN, J.C. A tunable bandstop resonator based on a compact slotted ground structure, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, September, 2007, vol. 55, no. 9, p. 1912 – 918.
- MANDAL, M. K., MONDAL, P., Design of sharp-rejection, compact, wideband, bandstop filters. IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, 2008, vol. 2, no. 4, p. 389 – 393.
- KRISHNA VELIDI, V., BABU GUNTUPALLI, A., SUBRATA, S. Sharp-rejection ultra-wide bandstop filters. IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letter, 2009, vol. 19, no. 8, p. 503 – 505.
- YUNCHUAN, G., GOUSSETIS, G., FERESIDIS, A. P., VARDAXOGLOU, J. C. Efficient modeling of novel uniplanar left-handed metamaterials. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 2005, vol. 53, no. 4, p. 1462 – 1468.
- KOKKINOS, T., FERESIDIS, A. P., VARDAXOGLOU, J. C. Equivalent circuit of double spiral resonators supporting backward waves. In Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference. Loughborough (UK), 2007, p. 289 – 292.
- KOKKINOS, T., FERESIDIS, A. P. Low-profile folded monopoles with embedded planar metamaterial phase-shifting lines. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2009, vol. 57, no. 10, p. 2997 – 3008.
- JIA-SHENG, H., LANCASTER, M. J. Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications. New York: Wiley, 2001.
Keywords: Uniplanar double spiral resonant cells, controllable transmission zeros, compact size, high attenuation rates
K. H. Yeap, C. Y. Tham, G. Yassin, K. C. Yeong
Attenuation in Rectangular Waveguides with Finite Conductivity Walls
We present a fundamental and accurate approach to compute the attenuation of electromagnetic waves propagating in rectangular waveguides with finite conductivity walls. The wavenumbers kx and ky in the x and y directions respectively, are obtained as roots of a set of transcendental equations derived by matching the tangential component of the electric field (E) and the magnetic field (H) at the surface of the waveguide walls. The electrical properties of the wall material are determined by the complex permittivity ε, permeability μ, and conductivity σ. We have examined the validity of our model by carrying out measurements on the loss arising from the fundamental TE10 mode near the cutoff frequency. We also found good agreement between our results and those obtained by others including Papadopoulos’ perturbation method across a wide range of frequencies, in particular in the vicinity of cutoff. In the presence of degenerate modes however, our method gives higher losses, which we attribute to the coupling between modes as a result of dispersion.
- GLASER, J. I. Attenuation and guidance of modes in hollow dielectric waveguides. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques (Correspondence), 1969, vol. 17, p. 173 – 176.
- YASSIN, G., JUNG, G., DIKOVSKY, V., BARBOY, I., KAMBARA, M., CARDWELL, D. A., WITHINGTON, S. Investigation of microwave propagation in high-temperature superconducting waveguides. IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Letters, 2001, vol. 11, p. 413 – 415.
- YEAP, K. H., THAM, C. Y., YEONG, K. C., WOO, H. J. Wave propagation in lossy and superconducting circular waveguides. Radioengineering Journal, 2010, vol. 19, p. 320 – 325.
- CLARICOATS, P. J. B. Propagation along unbounded and bounded dielectric rods: Part 1. Propagation along an unbounded dielectric rod. IEE Monograph, 1960, 409E, p. 170 – 176.
- CLARICOATS, P. J. B. Propagation along unbounded and bounded dielectric rods: Part 2. Propagation along a dielectric rod contained in a circular waveguide. IEE Monograph, 1960, 410E, p. 177 – 185.
- CHOU, R. C., LEE, S. W. Modal attenuation in multilayered coated waveguides. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 1988, vol. 36, p. 1167 – 1176.
- STRATTON, J. A. Electromagnetic Theory. 1st ed. McGraw-Hill, 1941.
- CARTER, M. C., BARYSHEV, A., HARMAN, M., LAZAREFF, B., LAMB, J., NAVARRO, S., JOHN, D., FONTANA, A-L., EDISS, G., THAM, C. Y., WITHINGTON, S., TERCERO, F., NESTI, R., TAN, G-H., SEKIMOTO, Y., MATSUNAGA, M., OGAWA, H., CLAUDE, S. ALMA front-end optics. Proceedings of the Society of Photo Optical Instrumentation Engineers, 2004, vol. 5489, p. 1074 – 1084.
- BOIFOT, A. M., LIER, E., SCHAUG-PETERSEN, T. Simple and broadband orthomode transducer. Proceedings of IEE, 1990, vol. 137, p. 396 – 400.
- WITHINGTON, S., CAMPBELL, E., YASSIN, G., THAM, C. Y., WOLFE, S., JACOBS, K. Beam combining superconducting detector for submillimetre-wave astronomical interferometry. Electronics Letters, 2003, vol. 39, p. 605 – 606.
- SEIDA, O. M. A. Propagation of electromagnetic waves in a rectangular tunnel. Applied Mathematics and Computation, 2003, vol. 136, p. 405 – 413.
- COLLIN, R. E. Field Theory of Guided Waves. 2nd ed. New York: IEEE Press, 1960.
- CHENG, D. K. Field and Waves Electromagnetics. 1st ed. Addison Wesley, 1989.
- BLADEL, J. V. Mode coupling through wall losses in a waveguide. Electronics Letters, 1971, vol. 7, p. 178 – 180.
- ROBSON, P. N. A variational integral for the propagation coefficient of a cylindrical waveguide with imperfectly conducting walls. Proceedings of IEE, 1963, vol. 110, p. 859 – 864.
- KOHLER, M., BAYER, H. Feld und ausbreitungskontante im rechteckhohlrohr bei endlicher leifahigkeit des wandmaterials. Zeitschrift Fur Angewandte Physik, 1964, vol. 18, p. 16 – 22 (in German).
- SOMLO, P. I. HUNTER, J. D. On the TE10 mode cutoff frequency in lossy-walled rectangular waveguides. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 1996, vol. 45, p. 301 – 304.
- PAPADOPOULOS, V. M. Propagation of electromagnetic waves in cylindrical waveguides with imperfectly conducting walls. Quarterly Journal of Mechanics and Applied Mathematics, 1954, vol. 7, p. 325 – 334.
- GUSTINCIC, J. J. A general power loss method for attenuation of cavities and waveguides. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 1963, vol. 62, p. 83 – 87.
- YEAP, K. H., THAM, C. Y., YASSIN, G., YEONG, K. C. Propagation in lossy rectangular waveguides. In Electromagnetic Waves / Book 2. 1st ed. Intech, (to be published in June 2011).
- YEAP, K. H., THAM, C. Y., YEONG, K. C., YEAP, K. H. A simple method for calculating attenuation in waveguides. Frequenz Journal of RF-Engineering and Telecommunications, 2009, vol. 63, p. 1 – 5.
- The NAG Fortran Library Manual, Mark 19, The Numerical Algorithm Group Ltd., Oxford, October, 1999.
- IMBRIALE, W. A., OTOSHI, T. Y., YEH, C. Power loss for multimode waveguides and its application to beam waveguide systems. IEEE Transactions on Theory and Techniques, 1998, vol. 46, p. 523 – 529.
Keywords: Attenuation, rectangular waveguides, finite conductivity, electrical properties
V. Prajzler, J. Klapuch, O. Lyutakov, I. Huttel, J. Spirkova, P. Nekvindova, V. Jerabek
Design, Fabrication and Properties of Rib Poly(methylmethacrylimide) Optical Waveguides
We report about design, fabrication and properties of the polymer optical waveguides deposited on silica-on-silicon substrate. The design of the waveguides is based on a concept that geometric dimensions of the single mode polymer waveguide are determined by geometrical parameters of the silica layer. The design of the waveguides was schemed for 650 nm, 850 nm, 1310 nm and 1550 nm wavelength. The design of the presented planar waveguides was realized on the bases of modified dispersion equation while the ridge waveguides design was proposed following the Fischbeck concept. Both designs were refined applying RSoft software using beam propagation method. Proposed shapes of the waveguides were etched by standard photolithography process into the silica layers and polymer waveguide layers were subsequently deposited into the treated substrate by spin coating. Poly(methylmethacrylimide) was used as the waveguide core material and polymethylmethacrylate was used as a cover protection layer. Propagation optical loss measurements were done by using the cut-back method and the best samples had optical losses lower than 0.6 dB/cm at 650 nm, 1310 nm and 1550 nm.
- YOSHITAKE, N., TERAKAWA, Y., HOSOKAWA, H. Polymer optical waveguide devices for FTTH. In Proceedings of the Opto- Electronics and Communications Conference, 2008 and the 2008 Australian Conference on Optical Fibre Technology. Sydney (Australia), 2008, p. 1 - 2.
- BOOTH, B. L. Low-low channel wave-guides in polymers, Journal of Lightwave Technology, 1989, vol. 7, no. 10, p. 1445- 1453.
- MA, H., JEN, A. K. Y., DALTON, L. R. Polymer based optical waveguides: Materials, processing and devices. Advanced Materials, 2002, vol. 14, no. 19, p. 1339-1365.
- ELDADA, L. Optical communication components. Review of Scientific Instruments, 2004, vol. 75, no. 3, p. 575-593.
- BECHE, B., PELLETIER, N., GAVIOT, E., ZYSS, J. Single-mode TE00-TM00 optical waveguides on SU-8 polymer. Optics Communications, 2004, vol. 230, no. 1-3, p. 91-94.
- WONG, W. H., LIU, K. K, CHAN, K. S., PUN, E. Y. B. Polymer devices for photonics applications. Journal of Crystal Growth, 2006, vol. 288, no. 1, p. 100-104.
- ADAMS, M. J. An Introduction to Optical Waveguides. Toronto: JohnWiley&Sons Ltd., 1981.
- FISCHBECK, G., MOOSBURGER, R., TOPPER M., PETERMANN, K. Design concept for singlemode polymer waveguides. Electronics Letters, 1996, vol. 32, no. 3, p. 212-213.
- MERCATILI, E. Slab-coupled waveguides. Bell System Technical Journal, 1974, vol. 53, no. 4, p. 645-647.
- SOREF, R. A., SCHMIDTCHEN, J., PETERMANN, K. Large single-mode rib waveguides in GeSi-Si and Si-on-SiO2. IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, 1991, vol. 27, no. 8, p. 1971- 1974.
- RSoft Design Group. Available at http://www.rsoftdesign.com/
- ULRICH, R., TORGE, R. Measurement of thin film parameters with a prism coupler. Applied Optics, 1973, vol. 12, no. 12, p. 2901 - 2908.
- CHRISTIAN, N. L., PASSAUER, L. K. Fiber Optics Component Design, Fabrication, Testing Operation, Reliability and Maintainability. William Andrew Publishing, 1990.
Keywords: Optical ridge waveguide, Polymer, Poly(methylmethacrylimide), Photolithography
V. Jerabek, I. Huttel
Theoretical Model of the Bistable Semiconductor Laser Diode Based on the Rate Equations
The paper describes theoretical and experimental results that enabled the authors to proof optical bistability behavior of a specially modified bistable semiconductor laser diode (BLD) created on a structure with a saturable absorption section. A mathematical model of the light-current characteristic, condition for bistability and the basic parameters of the hysteresis loop were derived by solving a system of three rate equations. That system was used for simulation of the light-current characteristic and conditions of bistability of the realized BLDs. For selected operating points of the simulated light-current characteristic the parameters of hysteresis loop and element values of the BLD electrical equivalent circuit for small signal variations were calculated. The bistability was experimentally measured by the new time method devised for impulse bistability verification (IBV). The basic measured and calculated parameters of the hysteresis loop of the BLD light-current characteristic were compared.
- LASHER, G. J. Analysis of proposed bistable injection lasers. Solid-State Electronics, 1964, vol. 7, no. 11, p. 707 - 716.
- BASOV, N. G. 0 – 1 Dynamics of injection lasers. IEEE J.Quantum Electron., 1968, vol. 4, no.11, p. 855 - .864.
- LEE, T. P., ROLAND R. H. Repetitively Q – switched light pulses from GaAs injection lasers with tandem double section stripe geometry. IEEE J. Quantum Electron., 1970, vol. 6, no. 6, p. 339 – 350.
- HARDER, C., LAU, K., YARIV, A. Bistability and pulsations in semiconductor lasers with inhomogenous current injection. J. Quantum Electronics, 1982, vol. 18, no.9, p. 1351 - 1361.
- KAWAGUCHI, H., IWANE, G. Bistable operation in semiconductor lasers with inhomogenous excitation. Electron. Letters, 1991, vol. 17, no.4, p. 167- 168.
- JERABEK, V, HUTTEL, I. Bistability of the laser diode with a multiple-divided contact stripe. In Proceedings of SPIE, Lasers and Applications. Warsaw (Poland), 2005, p. 595821-1 – 9.
- PEGG, S. I., ADAMS, M. J., POGUNTKE, K. Simultaneous absorptive and dispersive all-optical switching of a section bistable laser diode. Optics Communications, 2002, vol. 174, no. 1-4, p. 191-194.
- TAKENAKA, M., NAKANO Y. All-optical flip-flop multimode interference bistable laser diode. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 2005, vol. 17, no.5, p. 968-970.
- PISARCHIK, A. N., KUNSEVITCH, B. F. Control of multistability in a directly modulated diode laser. IEE J. Quantum Electronics, 2002, vol. 38, no.12, p. 1594-1598.
- UENO, M., LANG, R. Condition for self-sustained pulsation and bistability in semiconductor lasers. J. Applied Physics, 1985, vol. 58, no.4, p. 1689 - 1692.
- HILL, M. T., WAARDT, H., KHOE, G. D. All-optical flip-flop based on coupled laser diodes. IEEE J. Quantum Electronics, 2008, vol. 37, no.3, p. 405-413.
Keywords: Optical bistability, bistable semiconductor laser diode, rate equation.
H.E. Nistazakis, A.D. Tsigopoulos, M.P. Hanias, C.D. Psychogios, D. Marinos, C. Aidinis, G.S. Tombras
Estimation of Outage Capacity for Free Space Optical Links Over I-K and K Turbulent Channels
The free space optical communication systems are attracting great research and commercial interest due to their capability of transferring data, over short distances, with high rate and security, low cost demands and without licensing fees. However, their performance depends strongly on the atmospheric conditions in the link’s area. In this work, we investigate the influence of the turbulence on the outage capacity of such a system for weak to strong turbulence channels modeled by the I-K and the K-distribution and we derive closed-form expressions for its estimation. Finally, using these expressions we present numerical results for various link cases with different turbulence conditions.
- KEDAR, D., ARNON, S. Urban optical wireless communication network: the main challenge and possible solutions. IEEE Commun. Mag., 2004, vol. 42, no. 5, p. S2 - S7.
- ARNON, S. Optical wireless communications. Encycl. Opt. Eng. Marcel Dekker Inc. New York, 2003, p. 1866 - 1886.
- ANDREWS, L. C. Atmospheric Optics. SPIE Optical Engineering Press, 2004. ISBN: 0-8194-5318-8.
- PROKES, A. Atmospheric effects on availability of free space optics systems. Optical Engineering, 2009, vol. 48, no. 6, art. no. 066001.
- MUHAMMAD, S. S., AWAN, M. S., REHMAN, A. PDF estimation and liquid water content based attenuation modeling for fog in terrestrial FSO links. Radioengineering, 2010, vol. 19, no. 2, p. 228 - 236.
- PESEK, J., FISHER, O., SVOBODA, J., SCHEJBAL, V. Modeling of 830 nm FSO link attenuation in fog or wind turbulence. Radioengineering, 2010, vol. 19, no. 2, p. 237 - 241.
- NADEEM, F., JAVORNIK, T., LEITGEB, E., KVICERA, V., KANDUS, G. Continental fog attenuation empirical relationship from measured visibility data. Radioengineering, 2010, vol. 19, no. 4, p. 596 - 600.
- KHAN, M. S., AWAN, M. S., MUHAMMAD, S. S., FAISAL, M., MARZUKI, M., NADEEM, F., LEITGEB, E. Probabilistic model for free-space optical links under continental fog conditions. Radioengineering, 2010, vol. 19, no. 3, p. 460 - 465.
- GAPPMAIR, W., FLOHBERGER, M. Error performance of coded FSO links in turbulent atmosphere modeled by Gamma-Gamma distribution. IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., 2009, vol. 8, no. 5, p. 2209-2213.
- NISTAZAKIS, H. E., KARAGIANNI, E. A., TSIGOPOULOS, A. D., FAFALIOS, M. E., TOMBRAS, G. S. Average capacity of optical wireless communication systems over atmospheric turbulence channels. J. Lightw. Technol., 2009, vol. 27, no. 8, p. 974-979.
- POPOOLA, W. O., GHASSEMLOOY, Z. BPSK subcarrier intensity modulated free-space optical communications in atmospheric turbulence. J. Lightw. Technol., 2009, vol. 27, no. 8, p. 967 973.
- WANG, Z., ZHONG, W.-D., FU, S., LIN, C. Performance comparison of different modulation formats over free-space optical (FSO) turbulence links with space, diversity reception technique. IEEE Photonics Journal, 2009, vol. 1, no. 6, p. 277-285.
- LIU, C.; YAO, Y., SUN, Y., ZHAO, X. Average capacity for heterodyne FSO communication systems over gamma-gamma turbulence channels with pointing errors. Electronics Letters, 2010, vol. 46, no. 12, p. 851-853.
- MORADI, H., FALAHPOUR, M., REFAI, H. H., LOPRESTI, P. G., ATIQUZZAMAN, M. Availability modeling of FSO/RF mesh networks through turbulence-induced fading channels. INFOCOM IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops, 2010, doi: 10.1109/INFCOMW.2010.5466617.
- MAJUMDAR, A. K. Free-space laser communication performance in the atmospheric channel. J. Opt. and Fiber Commun. Research, 2005, vol. 2, p. 345 - 396.
- KAHN, J. M., BARRY, J. R. Wireless infrared communications. Proc. IEEE, 1997, vol. 85, no. 2, p. 265 - 298.
- ANDREWS, L. C., PHILLIPS, R. L., HOPEN, C. Y. Laser beam scintillation with applications. SPIE Optical Engineering Press, Bellingham, WA 2006.
- ANDREWS, L. C., AL-HABASH, M. A., HOPEN, C. Y., PHILLIPS, R. L. Theory of optical scintillation: Gaussian beam wave model. Waves in Random Media, 2001, vol. 11, p. 271 - 291.
- SIMON, M. K., ALOUINI, M. S. Digital Communications over Fading Channels. Wiley Interscience, 2000.
- NISTAZAKIS, H. E., TOMBRAS, G. S., TSIGOPOULOS, A. D., KARAGIANNI, E. A., FAFALIOS, M. E. Capacity estimation of optical wireless communication systems over moderate to strong turbulence channels. Journal of Communications and Networks, 2009, vol. 11, no. 4, p. 387 - 392.
- BELMONTE, A., KAHN, J. M. Capacity of coherent free space optical links using atmospheric compensation techniques. Optics Express, 2009, vol. 17, no. 4, p. 2763 - 2773.
- FURRER, S., CORONEL, P., DAHLHAUS, D. Simple ergodic and outage capacity expressions for correlated diversity Ricean fading channels. IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., 2006, vol. 5, no. 7, p. 1606 - 1609.
- FARID, A. A., HRANILOVIC, S. Outage capacity optimization for free-space optical links with pointing errors. IEEE/OSA J. Lightwave Technology, July 2007, vol. 25, no. 7, p. 1702 - 1710.
- ANDREWS, L. C., PHILIPS, R. L. I-K distribution as a universal propagation model of laser beams in atmospheric turbulence. Journal of the Optical Society of America A, 1985, vol. 2, no. 2, p. 160 - 163.
- ANDREWS, L. C., PHILIPS, R. L. Mathematical genesis of the IK distribution for random optical fields. Journal of the Optical Society of America A, 1986, vol. 3, no. 11, p. 1912 - 1919.
- SANDALIDIS, H. G., TSIFTSIS, T. A. Outage probability and ergodic capacity of free-space optical links over strong turbulence. Electronics Letters, 2008, vol. 44, no. 1, p. 46 - 47.
- LETZEPIS, N., FABREGAS, A. G. Outage probability of the freespace optical channel with doubly stochastic scintillation. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 2009, vol. 57, no. 10.
- ZHANG, Y., SI, C., WANG, Y., WANG, J., JIA, J. Capacity for non-Kolmogorov turbulent optical links with beam wander and pointing errors. Optical Laser Technology, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2011.04.001.
- LI (TIFFANY) J., UYSAL M. Optical wireless communications: system model, capacity and coding. In Proc. 58th Vehicular Tech. Conf. 2003. Orlando (USA), Oct. 2003, IEEE, vol. 1, p. 168-172.
- NISTAZAKIS, H. E., TSIFTSIS, T. A., TOMBRAS, G. S. Performance analysis of free-space optical communication systems over atmospheric turbulence channels. IET Communications, 2009, vol. 3, no. 8, p. 1402-1409.
- GARCIA-ZAMBRANA, A., CASTILLO-VAZQUEZ, B., CASTILLO-VAZQUEZ, C. Average capacity of FSO links with transmit laser selection using non-uniform OOK signalling over exponential atmospheric turbulence channels. Optics Express, 2010, vol. 18, no. 19, p. 20445 - 20454.
- NISTAZAKIS, H. E., ASSIMAKOPOULOS, V. D., TOMBRAS G. S. Performance estimation of free space optical links over negativeexponential atmospheric turbulence channels. Optik-Int. J. Light Electron Opt., 2011, doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2011.01.013.
- GARCIA-ZAMBRANA, A., CASTILLO-VAZQUEZ, C., CASTILLO-VAZQUEZ, B., HINIESTA-GOMEZ, A. Selection transmit diversity for FSO links over strong atmospheric turbulence channels. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 2009, vol. 21, no. 14, p. 1017 - 1019.
- NISTAZAKIS, H. E., MARINOS, D., HANIAS, M., AIDINIS, C., TSILIS, M., TOMBRAS, G. S., TSIGOPOULOS, A. D., FAFALIOS, M. E. Estimation of capacity bounds of free space optical channels under strong turbulence conditions. In 18th Int. Conf. MIKON2010, 2010, Proc. in IEEE site.
- ADAMCHIK, V. S., MARICHEV, O. I. The algorithm for calculating integrals of hypergeometric type function and its realization in reduce system. In Proc. Int. Conf. on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation. Tokyo (Japan), 1990, p. 212 - 224.
Keywords: Atmospheric turbulence, outage capacity, I-K distribution, K-distribution, free space optical channels
B. Z. Nikolic, G. T. Djordjevic, N. D. Milosevic
Effects of Imperfect Reference Signal Recovery on Performance of SC and SSC Receivers over Generalized Fading Channels
This paper presents the study of the effects of imperfect reference signal recovery on the bit error rate (BER) performance of dual-branch switch-and-stay combining (SSC) and multibranch selection combining (SC) receivers in a generalized Keywords: Communication technology, phase shift keying, bit error rate, fading channel, diversity
Keywords: Communication technology, phase shift keying, bit error rate, fading channel, diversity
M. R. Islam
An Issue of Boundary Value for Velocity and Training Overhead Using Cooperative MIMO Technique in Wireless Sensor Network
A boundary value of velocity of data gathering node (DGN) and a critical value for training overhead beyond which the cooperative communication in wireless sensor network will not be feasible is proposed in this paper. Multiple Input Multiple Outputs (MIMO) cooperative communication is taken as an application. The performance in terms of energy efficiency and delay for a combination of two transmitting and two receiving antennas is analyzed. The results show that a set of critical value of velocity and training overhead pair is present for the long haul communication from the sensors to the data gathering node. Later a graphical relation between boundary value of training overhead and velocity is simulated. A mathematical relation between velocity and training overhead is also developed. The effects of several parameters on training overhead and velocity are analyzed.
- JAYAWEERA, S. K. Virtual MIMO-based cooperative communication for energy-constrained wireless sensor networks. IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications. 2006, vol. 5, no. 5, p. 984-989.
- ISLAM, M. R., ANH, H. T., KIM, J. Energy efficient cooperative technique for IEEE 1451 based wireless sensor network. In IEEE Wireless Commun. & Networking Con. (WCNC). USA, 2008.
- ISLAM, M. R., KIM, J. On the cooperative communication for cluster to cluster transmission at wireless sensor network. Journal of Annals of Telecommunication, 18 December, 2009.
- DOHLER, M., LEFRANC, E., AGHVAMI, H. Space-time block codes for virtual antenna arrays. In PIMRC. Lisbon (Portugal), September 2002.
- CUI, S., GOLDSMITH, A. J., BAHAI, A. Energy-efficiency of MIMO and cooperative MIMO techniques in sensor networks. IEEE J. Select. Areas. Commun., Aug. 2003, vol. 22, no. 6, p. 1089–1098.
- CUI, S., GOLDSMITH, A. J., BAHAI, A. Modulation optimization under energy constraints. In Proc. IEEE Intl. Conf. Commun. (ICC 03). Alaska, USA, May 2003.
- CUI, S., GOLDSMITH, A. J., BAHAI, A. Energy constrained modulation optimization. IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Sept. 2005, vol. 4, no. 5, p. 2349–2360.
- BERRY, R., GALLAGER, R. Communication over fading channels with delay constraints. IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, May 2002, vol. 48, no. 5, p. 1135–1149.
- KHOJASTEPOUR, M. A., SABHARWAL, A. Delay-constrained scheduling: Power efficiency, filter design, and bounds. In Proc. INFOCOM Conf. Hong Kong, Mar. 7–11, 2004.
- UYSAL-BIYIKOGLU, E., PRABHAKAR, B., EL GAMAL, A. Energy-efficient packet transmission over a wireless link. IEEE/ACM Trans. Netw., Aug. 2002, vol. 10, no. 4, p. 487–499.
- YU, Y., KRISHNAMACHARI, B., PRASANNA, V. K. Energylatency tradeoffs for data gathering in wireless sensor networks. In Proc. of the 23rd Annual Joint Conf. of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM ’04). Hong Kong, March 2004, vol. 1, p. 244–255.
- YAO, Y., GIANNAKIS, G. B. Energy-efficient scheduling for wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 2005, vol. 53, no. 8, p. 1333–1342.
- GARZAS, J., CALZON, C., ARMADA, A. An energy-efficient adaptive modulation suitable for wireless sensor networks with SER and throughput constraints. EURASIP J. Wireless Commun. & Networking, 2007, Article ID 41401, 7 p., April 2007.
- TAROKH, V., JAFARKHANI, H., CALDERBANK, A. R. Spacetime block codes from orthogonal designs. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 1999, vol. 45, no. 5, p. 1456–1467.
- PROAKIS, J. G. Digital Communications. 4th ed. New York: McGraw- Hill, 2000.
- GAI, Y., ZHANG, L., SHAN, X. Energy efficiency of cooperative MIMO with data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. In IEEE Wireless Communications & Networking Conference (WCNC). Hong Kong, March 2007.
- ALAMOUTI, S. M. A simple transmit diversity technique for wireless communications. IEEE J. Select. Areas in Commun., Oct. 1998, vol. 16, p. 1451- 1458.
- RAPPAPORT, T. S. Wireless Communications Principles and Practices. 2nd ed. New York: Prentice Hall, 2002.
- ISLAM, M. R., KIM, J. Cooperative technique based on sensor selection in wireless sensor network. Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering Journal, 2009, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 56-62.
- ISLAM, M. R., KIM, J. Channel estimated cooperative MIMO in wireless sensor network. IETE Technical Review, 2008, vol. 25, no. 5, p. 234-243.
- ISLAM, M. R., KIM, J. Estimation of velocity and training overhead constraints for energy efficient cooperative technique in Wireless Sensor Network. In Intl. Conf. Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), Phoenix Park (Korea), 2008.
- AHMED, I., PENG, M., WANG, W. Exploiting geometric advantages of cooperative communications for energy efficient wireless sensor networks. I. J. Communications, Network and System Sciences, 2008, p. 55-61.
Keywords: Cooperative technique, data gathering node, training overhead, velocity, wireless sensor networks
R. Dolecek, J. Novak, O. Cerny
Experimental Research of Harmonic Spectrum of Currents at Traction Drive with PMSM
The paper deals with the significant results of the experimental research of current harmonic spectrum of traction drive with permanent magnet synchronous motor. The experiments were done on a special workplace with a real traction drive for wheel vehicles. Current harmonic spectrum was analyzed by a specialized device on the base of central measuring station. The knowledge of current marked subharmonic components of stator winding is the most significant finding of experiments. The frequencies of these components are given by multiples of frequency of mechanical speeds. The subharmonic components also pass to input DC current of drive. This fact is important in particular from the point of view of legislative requirements to electromagnetic compatibility of drive with railway interlocking devices.
- Standard CSN 34 2613 Railway Signalling Equipment - Track circuits and the outer conditions for their function (in Czech).
- Standard EN 50121-1 Railway applications - Electromagnetic compatibility, Part 1: General.
- Standard EN 50121-2 - Railway applications - Electromagnetic compatibility, Part 2: Emission of the whole railway system to the outside world.
- Standard EN 50121-3-1 Railway applications - Electromagnetic compatibility, Part 3-1: Rolling stock - Train and complete vehicle.
- CHALOUPKA, F. Electromagnetic compatibility, description of problems and ways to solution of EMC at traction vehicles. In Workshop on Disturbing Effects of Traction Devices and Their Elimination and Electromagnetic Compatibility. University of Pardubice, Jan Perner Transport Faculty, Pardubice 2010, ISBN 978-80-7395-255-6 (in Czech).
- VURM, J. Authorization of modern traction vehicles in Czech Republic. In Workshop on Disturbing Effects of Traction Devices and Their Elimination and Electromagnetic Compatibility. University of Pardubice, Jan Perner Transport Faculty, Pardubice 2010, ISBN 978-80-7395-255-6 (in Czech)
- NOVAK, J., SIMANEK, J., CERNY, O., DOLECEK, R. EMC of frequency controlled electric drives. Radioengineering, 2008, vol. 17, no. 4, p. 101 – 105.
- LETTL, J., FLIGL, S. Electromagnetic compatibility of matrix converter system. Radioengineering, 2006, vol.15, no. 4, p. 58–64.
- KAISER, L. K. Electromagnetic Compatibility Handbook. CRC Press, USA, 2005, ISBN 0-8493-2087-9.
- SHEPHERD, W., ZHANG, L. Power Converter Circuits. New York: Tailor and Francis, 2004, ISBN 0-8247-5054-3.
- DOLECEK, R., CERNY, O., NEMEC, Z. EMC of traction drive with permanent magnet synchronous motor. In Proc. of International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA 09), Torino (Italy), September 2009.
- QIANTAH, Z., XIAOFEI, L. Permanent magnetic synchronous motor and drives applied on a mid-size hybrid electric car. In Proc. of Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC'08). Harbin, September 2008, p.1-5, ISBN 978-1-4244-1848-0.
- MUGUR, P., ROUDET, CREBIER, J. Power electronic converter EMC analysis through state variable approach techniques. IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2001, vol. 43, no. 2, p. 229- 238.
- LETTL, J., DOLECEK, R. EMC increasing of PWM rectifier in comparison with classical rectifier. Radioengineering, 2008, vol. 17, no. 4, p. 93-100.
- NOVAK, J. Analysis of disturbance effects of traction drives with permanent magnet synchronous motor. In Workshop on Disturbing Effects of Traction Devices and Their Elimination and Electromagnetic Compatibility. University of Pardubice, Jan Perner Transport Faculty, Pardubice 2010, ISBN 978-80-7395- 255-6 (in Czech)
- DOLECEK, R., NOVAK, J., CERNY, O. Traction permanent magnet synchronous motor torque control with flux weakening. Radioengineering, 2009, vol. 18, no. 4, p. 601 – 605.
Keywords: Permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM), trraction drive, spectrum, harmonic component, converter, inverter, analysis
M. Hagara, P. Kulla
Edge Detection with Sub-pixel Accuracy Based on Approximation of Edge with Erf Function
Edge detection is an often used procedure in digital image processing. For some practical applications is desirable to detect edges with sub-pixel accuracy. In this paper we present edge detection method for 1-D images based on approximation of real image function with Erf function. This method is verified by simulations and experiments for various numbers of samples of simulated and real images. Results of simulations and experiments are also used to compare proposed edge detection scheme with two often used moment-based edge detectors with sub-pixel precision.
- PRATT, W. K. Digital Image Processing. 4th ed. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
- CANNY, J. A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 1986, vol. 8, no. 6, p. 679-698.
- LI, Z., YANG, Y., JIANG, W. Multi-scale morphologic tracking approach for edge detection. In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Image and Graphics. Chengdu (China), 2007, p. 358-362.
- BAI, X., ZHOU, F. Edge detection based on mathematical morphology and iterative thresholding. In Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Security. Guangzhou (China), 2006, p. 1849-1852.
- NALWA, V. S., BINFORD, T. O. On detecting edges. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 1986, vol. 8, no. 6, p. 699-714.
- BOUCHARA, F., BERTRAND, M., RAMDANI, S., HAYDAR, M. Sub-pixel edge fitting using B-spline. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Computer Vision. Berlin (Germany), 2007, p. 353-364.
- KISWORO, M., VENKATESH, S., WEST, G. Modeling edges at subpixel accuracy using the local energy approach. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis Machine Intelligence, 1994, vol. 16, no. 4, p. 405-410.
- HERMOSILLA, T., BERMEJO, E., BALAGUER, A., RUIZ, L.A. Non-linear fourth-order image interpolation for subpixel edge detection and localization. Image and Vision Computing, 2008, vol. 26, no. 9, p. 1240-1248.
- PAP, L., ZOU, J. J. Sub-pixel edge detection for photogrammetry using laplace difference of Gaussian and 4th order ENO interpolation. In Proceedings of IEEE 17th International Conference on Image Processing. Hong Kong, 2010, p. 2841- 2844.
- TABATABAI, A. J., MITCHELL, O. R. Edge location to subpixel values in digital imagery. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis Machine Intelligence, 1984, vol. 6, no. 2, p. 188-201.
- DA, F. P., ZHANG, H. Sub-pixel edge detection based on an improved moment. Image and Vision Computing, 2010, vol. 28, no. 12, p. 1645-1658.
- LYVERS, E. P., MITCHELL, O. R., AKEY, M. L., REEVS, A. P. Subpixel measurements using a moment-based edge operator. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis Machine Intelligence, 1989, vol. 11, no. 12, p. 1293-1309.
- LI, B., CUI, Y. Study on edge subpixel location of ellipse in computer vision measurement. In Proceedings of 3rd International Congress on Image and Signal Processing. Yantai (China), 2010, p. 1684-1688.
- BIN, T. J., LEI, A., CUI, J. W., KANG, W. J., LIU, D. D. Subpixel edge location based on orthogonal Fourier-Mellin moments. Image and Vision Computing, 2008, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 563-569.
- LI, J. Q., WANG, J. W., CHEN, S. B., WU, L. Improved algorithm of subpixel edge detection using Zernike orthogonal moments. Optical Technique, 2003, vol. 29, no. 4, p. 500-504.
- ZHANG, B., BAI, L., ZENG, X. A novel subpixel edge detection based on the Zernike moment. Information Technology Journal, 2010, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 41-47.
- ZHANG, W., BERGHOLM, F. Multi-scale blur estimation and edge type classification for scene analysis. International Journal of Computer Vision, 1997, vol. 24, no. 3, p. 219 – 250.
- WEISSTEIN, E. W. Erf. [Online] Cited 2011-02-21. Available at: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Erf.html
- LAGARIAS, J. C., REEDS, J. A., WRIGHT, M. H, WRIGHT, P. E. Convergence properties of the Nelder-Mead simplex method in low dimensions. SIAM Journal of Optimization, 1998, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 112-147.
- BABA, M., OHTANI, K. A novel subpixel edge detection system for dimension measurement and object localization using an analogue-based approach. Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, 2001, vol. 3, p. 276-283.
- HUSSMANN, S., HO, T. H. A high-speed subpixel edge detector implementation inside a FPGA. Real-Time Imaging, 2003, vol. 9, no. 5, p. 361-368.
- HAGARA, M. Sub-pixel edge detection with wavelets. In Conf. Proc. of Radioelektronika 2006. Bratislava, 2006, p. 353-356.
Keywords: Edge detection, sub-pixel accuracy, image processing
H. Luo, X. Sun, H. Yang, Z. Xia
A Robust Image Watermarking Based on Image Restoration Using SIFT
This paper introduces a novel robust watermarking scheme for digital images, which is robust against common signal processing and geometric distortion attacks. In order to be resistant to geometric distortion attacks, the matched feature points determined by the scale-invariance feature transform (SIFT) are used for image restoration to reduce the synchronization errors caused by geometric distortion attacks. An adaptive embedding scheme is applied in discrete Fourier transform (DFT) domain of each subimage. The watermark detection decision is based on the number of matched bits between the retrieved and original watermark in the embedding image blocks. Experimental results show that the proposed watermarking is robust to common signal processing attacks and geometric distortion attacks, including rotation, scaling, cropping, shearing and some combined attacks.
- PETITCOLAS, F. A. P., ANDERSON, R. J., KUHN, M. G. Attacks on copyright marking systems. Information Hiding, 1998, vol. 1525, p. 218-238.
- PEREIRA, S., PUN, T. Fast robust template matching for affine resistant image watermarks. Information Hiding, Proceedings, 2000, vol. 1768, p. 199-210.
- LIN, C. Y., WU, M., BLOOM, J. A., COX, I. J., MILLER, M. L., LUI, Y. M. Rotation, scale, and translation resilient public watermarking for images. Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents, 2000, vol. 3971, p. 90-98.
- ALGHONIEMY, M., TEWFIK, A. H. Image watermarking by moment invariants. In Proceedings 2000 International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2000). Vancouver (Canada), 2000, p. 73-76.
- SINGHAL, N., YOUNG-YOON LEE, CHANG-SU KIM, SANG-UK LEE Robust image watermarking based on local zernike moments. In Proceedings of IEEE 9th Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP 2007). Chania Crete (Greece), 2007, p. 401-404.
- KUTTER, M., BHATTACHARJEE, S. K., EBRAHIMI, T. Towards second generation watermarking schemes. In Proceedings 1999 International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 1999). Manchester (United Kingdom), 1999, p. 320-323.
- BAS, P., CHASSERY, J. M., MACQ, B. Geometrically invariant watermarking using feature points. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2002, vol. 11, no. 9, p. 1014-1027.
- QI, X. J., QI, J. A robust content based digital image watermarking scheme. Signal Processing, 2007, vol. 87, no. 6, p. 1264-1280.
- WANG, X. Y., HOU, L. M., WU, J. A feature-based robust digital image watermarking against geometric attacks. Image and Vision Computing, 2008, vol. 26, p. 980-989.
- TANG, CH. W., HANG, H. M. A feature-based robust digital image watermarking scheme. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2003, vol. 51, no. 4, p. 950-959.
- HAE-YEOUN LEE, HYUNGSHIN KIM, HEUNG-KYU LEE Robust image watermarking using local invariant features. Optical Engineering, 2006, vol. 45, no. 3, 1-11.
- DENG, CH., GAO, X. B. TAO, D. CH., LI, X. L. Geometrically invariant watermarking using affine covariant regions. In Proceedings of 15th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2008). California, 2008, p. 413-416.
- PING DONG, BRANKOV, J. G., GALATSANOS, N. P., YONGYI YANG, DAVOINE, F. Digital watermarking robust to geometric distortions. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2005, vol. 14, no. 12, p. 2140-2150.
- COX, I. J., KILIAN, J., LEIGHTON, F. T., SHAMOON, T. Secure spread spectrum watermarking for multimedia. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 1997, vol. 6, no. 12, p. 1673-1687.
- LOWE, D. G. Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints. International Journal of Computer Vision, 2004, vol. 60, no. 2, p. 91-110.
- YAVUZ, E., TELATAR, Z. SIFT based geometric distortion correction method. In Proceedings of 23rd International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences (ISCIS'08). Istanbul (Turkey), 2008, p. 1-4.
- PETITCOLAS, F. A. P. StirMark 4.0 (2008), Available at: http://www.petitcolas.net/fabien/watermarking/stirmark/.
Keywords: Scale invariance feature transform, geometric attack, image restoration, image watermark.
W. Liang, X. Sun, Z. Ruan, J. Long, C. Wu
A Sequential Circuit-Based IP Watermarking Algorithm for Multiple Scan Chains in Design-for-Test
In Very Large Scale Integrated Circuits (VLSI) design, the existing Design-for-Test(DFT) based watermarking techniques usually insert watermark through reordering scan cells, which causes large resource overhead, low security and coverage rate of watermark detection. A novel scheme was proposed to watermark multiple scan chains in DFT for solving the problems. The proposed scheme adopts DFT scan test model of VLSI design, and uses a Linear Feedback Shift Register (LFSR) for pseudo random test vector generation. All of the test vectors are shifted in scan input for the construction of multiple scan chains with minimum correlation. Specific registers in multiple scan chains will be changed by the watermark circuit for watermarking the design. The watermark can be effectively detected without interference with normal function of the circuit, even after the chip is packaged. The experimental results on several ISCAS benchmarks show that the proposed scheme has lower resource overhead, probability of coincidence and higher coverage rate of watermark detection by comparing with the existing methods.
- CHANG, H., COOK, L., et al. Surviving the SOC Revolution: A Guide to Platform-Based Design. Norwel, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
- KIROVSKI, D., HWANG, Y., et al. Protecting combinational logic synthesis solutions. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 2006, vol. 25, no. 12, p. 2687-2696.
- ABDEL-HAMID, A. T., TAHAR, S., et al. IP watermarking techniques: Survey and comparison. In The 3rd IEEE International Workshop on System-on-Chip for Real-Time Applications, 2003, p. 60-65.
- GHOUTI, L., YUAN, L., et al. VLSI design IP protection: solutions, new challenges, and opportunities. In Proc. of NASA/ESA Conf. on AHS, 2006, p. 469 - 476.
- ABDEL-HAMID, A. T., TAHAR, S., et al. A survey on IP watermarking techniques. International Journal on Design Automation for Embedded Systems, 2005, vol. 9, no. 3, p. 211-227.
- WONG, J. L., KIROVSKI, D., et al. Computational forensic techniques for intellectual property protection. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 2004, vol. 23, no. 6, p.987-994.
- FAN, Y., TSAO, H. W. Watermarking for intellectual property protection. Electronics Letters, 2003, vol. 39, no. 18, p. 1316-1318.
- FAN, Y. Testing-based watermarking techniques for intellectual property identification in SOC design. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 2008, vol. 57, no. 3, p. 467-479.
- CUI, A., CHANG, C. H., et al. IP watermarking using incremental technology mapping at logic synthesis level. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 2008, vol. 27, no. 9, p. 1565 - 1570.
- CUI, A., CHANG, C. H. Intellectual property authentication by watermarking scan chain in design-for-testability flow. In Proc. of Intl. Symposium on CAS, 2008, p. 2645-2648.
- CUI, A., CHANG, C. H. Stego-signature at logic synthesis level for digital design IP protection. In Proc. IEEE International Symposium Circuits Syst. Kos (Greece), 2006, p. 4611-4614.
- SAHA, D., DASGUPTA, P., et al. A novel scheme for encoding and watermark embedding in VLSI physical design for IP protection. In Proc. of the International Computing Conference: Theory and Algorithms. 2007, p. 111-116.
- SAHA, D., SUR-KOLAY, S. A unified approach for IP protection across design phases in a packaged chip. In 23rd International Conference on VLSI Design. Bangalore(India), 2010, p.105-110.
- KIROVSKI, D., POTKONJAK, M. Local watermarks: methodology and application to behavioral synthesis. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 2003, vol. 22, no. 9.
- KIROVSKI, D., HWANG, Y. Y., et al. Protecting combinational logic synthesis solutions. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 2006, vol. 25, no. 12, p. 2687-2696.
- HALDER, R., DASGUPTA, P., et al. An internet-based IP protection scheme for circuit designs using Linear Feedback Shift Register (LFSR)-based locking. In Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Symposium on Integrated Circuits and System Design: Chip on the Dunes, Natal, RN, Brazil, 2009.
- CASTILLO, E., MEYER-BAESE, U., et al. Digital signature embedding technique for IP core protection. In 3rd Southern Conference on Programmable Logic (SPL 2007). 2007, p.143-148.
- CASTILLO, E., PARRILLA, L., et al. Intellectual property protection of IP cores at HDL design level with automatic signature spreading. In International Conference on Advances in Electronics and Micro-electronics, 2008.
- CASTILLO, E., PARRILLA, L., et al. Automated signature insertion in combinational logic patterns for HDL IP core protection. In 4th Southern Conference on Programmable Logic. San Carlos de Bariloche, 2008, pp. 183-186.
- LIANG, W., SUN, X., et al. The design and FPGA implementation of FSM-based IP watermark algorithm at behavioral level. Information Technology Journal, 2011, vol. 10, no. 4, p.870-876.
- CHARBON, E., TORUNOGLU, I. Watermarking techniques for electronic circuit design. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Digital Watermarking, 2003, p. 147-169.
- QU, G. Publicly detectable watermarking for intellectual property authentication in VLSI design. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 2002, vol. 21, no. 11, p.1363 -1368.
- KHAN, M., TRAGOUDAS, S. Rewiring for watermarking digital circuit netlists. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 2005, vol. 24, no. 7, p.1132-1137.
Keywords: IP reuse, VLSI, DFT, LFSR, multiple scan chains
B. Kyrbashov, I. Baronak, M. Kovacik, V. Janata
Evaluation and Investigation of the Delay in VoIP Networks
The paper is focused mainly on the delay problems, which considerably influence the final quality of connections in VoIP (Voice over IP) networks. The paper provides a detailed exploration of the nature and mechanisms of the delay. The main purpose of the investigation was an attempt to formulate a mathematical model of delay in the VoIP network and its subsequent analysis by laboratory data.
- KHASNABISH, B. Implementing Voice over IP. New York: Wiley, 2003.
- DAVIDSON, J., PETERS, J., BHATIA, M., KALIDINDI, S., MUKHERJEE, S. Voice over IP Fundamentals. 2nd Ed. Cisco Press, 2006.
- RAMESH, K.,ASADULLAH,S. Cisco IP Telephony: Planning, Design, Implementation, Operation, and Optimization. Cisco Press, 2005.
- CHROMY, E., KAVACKY, M. Asynchronous networks and Erlang formulas. International Journal of Communication Networks and Information Security (IJCNIS), 2010, vol. 2, no. 2, p. 85 – 89.
- JEREMIAH, F., THIMMA, V., BABU, G. Modeling and Analysis of Telecommunications Networks. New York: Wiley, 2004.
- BOLCH, G., GREINER, S., MEER, H., KISHOR S. Queuing Networks and Markov Chains. New York: Wiley, 2006.
- PARK, K. QoS in Packet Networks. New York: Springer Science + Business Media, 2005.
- BARONAK, I., HALAS, M., ORGON, M. Mathematical model of VoIP connection delay. In Telecommunications, Networks and systems: International Conference. Lisbon (Portugal), 2007, p. 95 – 99.
- GHANASSI, M. KABAL, P. Optimizing voice-over-IP speech quality using path diversity. In IEEE 8th Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing. Victoria (USA), 2006, p. 155 – 160.
- KARAPANTAZIS, S., PAVLIDOU F. VoIP: A comprehensive survey on a promising technology. Computer Networks, 2009, vol. 53, no. 12, p. 2050 – 2090.
- VOZNAK, M., HROMEK, F. Optimization of VoIP service queues. In Proceedings RTT2008, 9th International Conference. Vyhne (Slovakia), 2008.
- ITU-T Recommendation G.114 (05/2003). One Way Transmission Time. Geneva: ITU, 2003.
- Ixia. IxChariot. [Online] available at: http://www.ixiacom.com/ products/ .
- BROSH, E., BASET, S., MISRA, V., RUBENSHTEIN D., SCHULZRINNE, H. The delay-friendliness of TCP. In Joint International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems. Annapolis (MD, USA), 2008.
- SILVA, A., VARELA, M., SILVA, E., ROSA M., RUBINO, L. Quality assessment of interactive voice application. Computer Networks, 2008, vol. 52, no. 6, p. 1179 – 1192.
- MEDVECKY M., BALOGH, T. Packet prioritization in networks with QoS support. EE – Journal for Electrical Engineering and Information -Technology, 2007, vol. 13, p. 208 – 211.
- NIKKEL, B. An introduction to investigating IPv6 networks. Digital Investigation, 2007, vol. 4, no. 2, p. 59 – 67.
- JOSEPH, V.,CHAPMAN B. Deploying QoS for Cisco IP and next generation networks. Burlington (MA, USA): Elsevier, 2009.
- VAJICEK, M., MEDVECKY, M. Evaluation of transport technologies for NGN transport networks. EE – Journal for Electrical Engineering and Information – Technology, 2009, vol. 15, p. 164 – 168.
- FISCHER, W., MEIER-HELLSTERN, K. The Markov-modulated Poisson process (MMPP) cook book. Performance Evaluation, 1992, vol. 18, p.149 – 171.
- FERRARI, T., PAU, G., RAFFAELLI, C. Measurement based analysis of delay in priority queuing. In Proceeding of IEEE Global Telecommunication Conference Globecom 2001. S.Antonio (TX, USA), 2001.
- FU, J., HAGSAND, O., KARLSSON, G. Queueing behavior and packet delays in network processor system. In 15th International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, MASCOTS '07. Istanbul (Turkey), 2007, p. 217 – 264.
Keywords: Delay, VoIP, jitter, IxChariot
Z. Vranova, V. Ondryhal
Utilization of Selected Data Mining Methods for Communication Network Analysis
The aim of the project was to analyze the behavior of military communication networks based on work with real data collected continuously since 2005. With regard to the nature and amount of the data, data mining methods were selected for the purpose of analyses and experiments. The quality of real data is often insufficient for an immediate analysis. The article presents the data cleaning operations which have been carried out with the aim to improve the input data sample to obtain reliable models. Gradually, by means of properly chosen SW, network models were developed to verify generally valid patterns of network behavior as a bulk service. Furthermore, unlike the commercially available communication networks simulators, the models designed allowed us to capture nonstandard models of network behavior under an increased load, verify the correct sizing of the network to the increased load, and thus test its reliability. Finally, based on previous experience, the models enabled us to predict emergency situations with a reasonable accuracy.
- HAN, J., KAMBER, M. Data Mining – Concepts and Techniques. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2006. ISBN 1-55860-901-3.
- HIBA, M. O., SAMI, M. S., ELHAG, H. M. A backbone Internet traffic intensities and statistics in Sudan. In 3rd International Conference on Cybernetics and Information Technologies, Systems and Applications (CITSA 2006). Orlando (USA), 2006.
- GHAZALI, M., AZMINBIN, M. Analysis on the Traffic Load Pattern of Unikl WLAN. Thesis. University Utara, Malaysia , 2007.
- CAN, B. Traffic Analysis and Modelling in PMR Systems. Thesis. Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department, Bilkent University, 2003.
- LIU, N. X., BARAS, J. S. Statistical modeling and performance analysis of multi-scale traffic. In Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, INFOCOM 2003. San Francisco (CA, USA), 2003, p. 1837-1847.
- ONDRASIK, J., MAZALEK, A. New trends in ACR field communication systems In Proceedings of New Technologies in Radio-Communications. University of Defense, Brno (Czech Republic), 2006, 7 p.
- Technical Documentation for A4300 and A4400. Alcatel-Lucent, avenue Kleber - 92707 Colombes France, 1996, 2009.
- ONDRYHAL, V., VRANOVA, Z. Using data mining methods for communication net behaviour analysis. EE Casopis pro elektrotechniku a energetiku, 2008, vol. 14, no. 5, p. 282-286. ISSN 1335-2547.
- ONDRYHAL, V., VRANOVA, Z. Different ways to identify trends in network traffic. In Proc. of Networking and Electronic Commerce Research Conference 2010. Lake Garda (Italy), October 2010.
- RuleQuest Research Data Mining Tools - Sample Applications Using See5/C5.0 [online] Cited 2011-04-12. Available at http://www.rulequest.com/see5-examples.html.
Keywords: Communication network (CN), data mining (DM), data preparation, decision trees